1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can upbringing affect orientation?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by QueenM, Aug 31, 2015.

1. QueenM

Hi everyone! As I have lamented about in other posts, I come from a very religious area and family. I am bisexual, but am questioning my romantic orientation. I am "against" being in a relationship with a woman because of pressures from my family and my friends, but still sometimes wish I could be in a relationship with a woman (I am also interested in being in relationships with men.) Can my romantic orientation be affected by the way I grew up? Am I too brainwashed to ever know my true orientation? I'm really confused and could use some help.

2. Manitoban

I don't think anyone has come up with a definite answer to why we feel a certain way to people. Most in the psychological work seem to think its a mixture of genetics and environment. Epigenesists have been making a lot of findings lately. Again nothing concrete though.

However I think the reasoning why is a bit irrelevant. How do you feel about it? That is what is important. If you feel like women are attractive roll with it. If you think men are attractive. Roll with it.

I know it might be hard since its often confusing at first but try not to worry about what people think and just do what feels right to you.

Cavet of course is use your judgement on how open you can be until you have the ability to support yourself.