1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can sexuality change?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by molsen7961, Sep 3, 2015.

1. molsen7961

Just generally curious - this isn't something that is applicable to my personal life.

A lot of people say that they were "born gay" or "born bi" and that seems to be the general argument against homophobes that say people "choose" their sexuality.

However, many also say that sexuality is fluid and can change over time (i.e. straight to gay, or vise versa, not bi), and many believe that it's possible to by gay for a single person, but otherwise straight.

Others say it's possible for attraction to specific genders to be more prevalent at different points in life for bisexuals or pansexuals, but it's not possible for sexuality to be so fluid that someone's entire orientation changes.

What do you think? Can sexuality change, or is it just the person coming to the realization that they were of a different sexual orientation than they previously thought? Is it possible to be gay for a single person, or is the individual just bi?

2. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's more the second thing you said, realizing your true sexuality even if it's not what you originally thought it to be. I also think it's very possible to be straight or gay and fall for that "one exception" person. So I guess it can be both.

Sexuality is complicated.

3. High Art

Maybe try reading sexual fluidity by Lisa diamond. It explores these questions quite thoroughly!