1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I make a profile on a dating app? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by EpicConfusion, Sep 6, 2015.

1. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been 18 for almost two months now, and I've been considering making a profile on one or more dating app(s). There are a few things to discuss however;

-I live in a very small town, so chances are I'll see some people I might know, but didn't know are gay/bisexual. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

-I am out to my parents, so I could date if I wanted. I work a lot, and I work extremely random hours so it would be challenging to find time, but I could.

-I'm afraid the only people I'll meet/talk to are going to be solely interested in sex. I'm focused on having a real relationship, and sex is not even something I feel ready for yet.

-I'm afraid the people I meet are all going to be older than me. I don't feel very comfortable dating anyone more than a year older than me. I know that narrows my options considerably, but I just feel like there will be a huge maturity gap with anyone more than one year older.

-Would I be able to make friends? Or are people just going to be interested in finding dates/sex?

-Hopefully, I can move away at some point, but it will most likely be a few years. I will however be going to a vocational school in a town about 2 hours drive away, and I will be there almost permanently (excluding come back to see my family on holidays and such) for about one year. I'm afraid if I do end up meeting someone I won't be able to see them for a while.

-I'm afraid that creepy old guys are going to be, well, creepy and try to hit on me.

Thoughts? Should I just do it, or should I not even bother?

2. Rainbows~Exist

I'd say if you really want to then go for it! Like you I do too live in a small town yet after setting up a dating profile I have yet to see anyone I recognise. If yyou're embarrassed about seeing people you know chances are they're equally embarrassed as well. In term's of age? Most sights would probably let you set preferences for what type of person you'd like to meet. That's how dating sites work. If you set your settings to only show you people around your age then that's what you'll get. Hope this helped! :slight_smile:

P.S. Just wanted to mention the age of consent is 16 in the UK and the only site I use (A very popular one) has a mode for those age between 13-17. I'm being safe about it don't worry.

3. guitar

I always think it good to get dating experience under your belt, even if you just go for coffee with someone but don't feel the spark. One of my closest friends was a guy I went on a few dates with, we didn't quite feel it, but are good friends to this day. So yes you can totally make friends from it.

Regarding sex & being messaged by older dudes: sites have filters. When I was on dating sites, I had mine set for +/- 5 years can message you. At 26 I didn't want to be dating an 18 year old, nor did I want a 38 year old.

Put in your profile that you're looking to date / friendships; something long term if possible. You're going to get a lot of "yo bro, you top/bottom?" Ignore those messages.

There's another tread on this site called The Do's and Don'ts of Online Dating that has a lot of useful hints. Best of luck!

4. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys I think I'll go for it! In fact, right now. Why not?