1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very lonely and confused about my place in the lgbt community.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by trumer, Sep 7, 2015.

1. trumer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm a 23 year old woman who has only recently recognized my preference for women and have not yet come out. I essentially am unidentified. I've spent so much of my life dating men that I feel uncomfortable and not entitled to use the word lesbian to describe myself so if I had to I would say I'm bi but only date and interested in dating women. I'm attracted to men but really have no desire to sleep with them, I just feel like I can only be both romantically and physically attracted to women at this point in time, but I don't know if that could change someday because I was at one time attracted to men.

Anyway, here is my problem. I have no gay/lesbian friends. Hell I barely have any straight friends these days. I grew up in a really small town raised by immigrant parents who are not tolerant at all. We were really poor and my father was an alcoholic and my mother worked all the time so I was sort of on my own throughout my growing up. My friends parents chipped in and helped raise me but now as an adult I feel like I missed out on proper etiquette lessons and have a very hard time assimilating myself into "normal" society. I went to a slightly rough school with lots of other really poor blue collar types and then went on to work at dive bars and biker bars. I left because I developed an alcohol problem and started to have too much anxiety and now I work in retail. I used to have a wide array of friends because I can be charming when I put my mind to it and I used to party a lot. Now that I'm older nearly all of my friends have either moved on to better places and different things, now too far away for me to see them. Others, I've lost to alcohol and hard drugs like meth- they're not dead yet but they may as well be. And still others were just bridges I burned myself either by choice or by being a bad friend.

I've slept with a butch lesbian friend of mine that I guess lost interest in me and we don't talk anymore. Other than that I've never been with anyone because I have so much anxiety speaking to women that I like and I just don't have any confidence or game whatseover. Ironically, when I dated men I had no issues because I was completely indifferent to whether or not they would be interested in me. But with women I'm just terrified and incompetent.

My entire family lives in a different country so I have no family support not just for my lesbian problems, but just for life in general. I know that at my age I should know how to be an adult but a really have no damn clue what I'm doing- every day I feel like I'm just surviving, struggling to get by, wondering how I'm going to take care of myself. And I feel like I don't belong in the lgbt community because I don't know anything. I don't know anything about lesbian etiquette or how I'm supposed to carry myself in the world. Hell, even if I was straight I still wouldn't know these things. I just feel utterly lost, despondent, and confused and I don't know where to find support. Also I don't have healthcare and I'm broke so it's not like I can get professional counseling and even if I could I always thought that was more geared toward straight people anyway.

And I'm so out of touch with who I am as a person. Some days I wake up and feel like putting on a pretty dress and some nice shoes and a ton of glitter and bright makeup and other days I feel like wearing a baggy pair of clothes and a baseball cap. I just have no sense of consistency in my personality or my style I kind of just do what I feel like doing every day and then I look back and realize how strange that may appear to other people.

I feel clumsy and confused and I've been single and alone for more than a year now because I don't want to date a man and I feel like no woman would want me because of my past experience with men and my lack of understanding of myself and anything lgbt related on top of being poor and considered "low class" by most people. I honestly don't believe I will ever find love and I have so much despair in my heart I just don't know what to do.

2. mc09

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    There's no need to label yourself. Coming to terms with your sexuality is a process and can honestly change at anytime. It's not definite. Since you said you don't have a support system around you right now, maybe you can look up an lgbt club nearby that you can join. The people part of the club will be happy to listen to you and through them you can build a support system.

If you ever need anyone to talk to I would be more than happy to listen and help you out as much as I can(*hug*)

3. Journey23

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Honey.....that was one of the most heart-wrenching posts I think I've read online....
    My heart pains for you =(
    I'm not good at giving advice, but I will say that you are extremely articulate and well-written for someone who dares to call themselves "low class."
    Also, it doesn't sound to me like you're not as confused about your sexuality as you say....I'm far, far behind you in terms of realizing what your preference is, but I, too, come from a family who's extremely intolerant. In fact, I was recently at my dad's house and, long story short, my step mom tells me gay ppl aren't really gay, just "deceived" by "demons." Literally. Said. That.
    Obviously, I won't be telling them anything about my desire for women any time soon, if ever. I could go on about all the other homophobic BS my parents fed me my whole life and me feeling ashamed about dressing like a boy, etc etc. My point is, I can only speak for myself, but I wonder how different things would've turned out for me if I didn't have the very religious upbringing that I did. I've also realized that it's taken me so long to realize this because my upbringing never allowed me to explore myself outside of a religious box, so it's more about perspective for me rather than not knowing who I am.....and I don't know your situation, but it kind of sounds similar maybe?
    Anyway, I'm really sorry you're going through this. I'm glad you found this place....I haven't been on for very long, but it's a very nice and helpful community, so keep posting =)

#3 Journey23, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015