1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is one person enough??

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Orchidea123, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Have been in straight relationships for all my life. Is falling in love and having an attraction to same gender person (in my case a woman) enough to conclude I am bi (or lesbian in denial), without ever kissing them or having sexual encounter?

If you post your opinion, I would be curious to know if you also had enjoyable heterosexual relationships. Thanks!:slight_smile:

#1 Orchidea123, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  2. Sky82

Hi, I've had both male and female relationship, both at the same time, once (hard work trying to keep two people happy lol) Personally I'd say until you have experienced it and are 100% sure you like it your more bi curipus, or something along those lines. Saying that I could be wrong as plently of men and women know who they are before any sexual experience. I've always know I'm bi from being a kid. So it's hard to say, its one of the questions you need to dig deep in yourself to answer. But if unsure, try it twice, first time to see if you like it, second time to make sure lol.

3. Lyana

I'm currently in my first relationship with another girl. Before her, I had never been interested in a girl to the point of wanting to kiss or date her, let alone anything more, though I'd had lighter crushes on girls (as well as an ongoing celebrity crush on Emma Watson!).
    However, I had my first crush on a guy at the age of 7, fell in love with a guy in high school, was in a couple (short-lived and either childish or unhealthy) relationships with men in college, and enjoyed kissing men and sexual encounters with them.

Before I ever even kissed my girlfriend, I knew I was ridiculously into her and wanted to kiss her. She was what prompted me to come out as bi, even before we ever did anything.

So, in my experience, yes, that one person was enough. But if you don't feel comfortable adopting a label for yourself right now, that's fine. Labelling yourself isn't the most important part: it's more important to be able to identify your attractions and know what you're feeling. If you know you're in love with a woman right now... That's what matters.

4. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Pretty sure I am, don't feel it's just a crush anymore.. I do feel attracted to her more as days go by, but anything more than casual conversation is far from reality..

5. TeaTree

So based on this people who have never had sex have no sexual orientation?
    Also there are people who have had sex with the same gender quite a few time and they still consider themselves straight.
    There are some people who have never had sex with the same gender but they don't feel interested in having sex with the opposite gender anymore.
    There are all kinds of experiences.
    Sure, I think it might help to have the actual experience, but that by itself doesn't determine your sexual orientation in my opinion.

6. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One is enough if you decide that one is enough, on the other hand ten won't be enough if you decide so, it's simply as that. Btw one was enough for me. :icon_wink

7. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been only in straight relationships and I enjoyed them. I'm attracted to both genders but men more. One is absolutely enough, really. Bisexuality doesn't have to mean equal attraction to both genders. You can be attracted more to one than the other. And no, not kissing or anything doesn't make your attraction less real. If you had a boy crush and never kissed before ever, would you say you're not attracted to him because you haven't kissed a guy before? Attraction is what is in your head and in reality kissing everyone you find attractive is not the best idea.

8. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say one is definitely enough. Some people might rely on examining a multitude of attractions and cases before concluding what their sexuality seems to be, but if you feel attraction to one same sex individual, it can be plenty sufficient to conclude you aren't straight.

You don't need to actually have done anything with anyone to know your sexual orientation. A lot of people (not just straight people) can solidly know their orientation without ever even having their first kiss. Other people experiment more, and have a huge number of experiences and feelings towards different people before being able to be sure. It can be either way, or it can be anything in between. It's all fine.

It all depends on you. If I were you (and my situation in the past was similar to yours in some areas), I would have no issue at least concluding I'm not straight, and maybe exploring my orientation a bit further. There is no rush to label yourself, but if you feel like you're in a place where you confidently can label yourself, go ahead.

Right, personal experience time below. I can talk a lot about my personal experiences with this but I'll include the most relevant thing in regards to your post.
    Some points to note: I've never been in a relationship, haven't had my first kiss or a sexual encounter of any kind. I also did ID as a cis girl for the vast majority of the time I spent questioning my sexual orientation in the past, so that might clear a few things up.

I thought I was straight (as a girl), though I never had any relationships with guys; just a few crushes here and there. However quite a few years back now I did develop really strong feelings for a girl- I was completely in love with her and attracted to her, and she was the first girl I had feelings for, and honestly the first person I had genuinely, undeniably strong attraction to. She didn't like me back, we didn't kiss, we definitely didn't do anything sexual, we didn't date. But I knew that I liked girls even if I would ignore everything else ever and just look at my feelings I had for her. She was enough for me to know. I didn't need anything else to conclude that I most definitely am attracted to girls, though I was in denial for quite some time about it. Of course I did end up exploring my sexuality in other ways too, such as through media/TV shows/celebrities, such as through asking myself who I want to date and have a sexual relationship with, all that jazz. But in regards to feelings towards actual people in my life, she was the only one up to that point in time.

So in the case re: my attraction towards girls, I really only did need one person. Yes I did develop feelings (less strong but still existent) towards another girl later on, but long before that happened I had already concluded confidently and strongly that I was most definitely attracted to women, and that is at least a solid part of my orientation.

Fast forward a lot, my attraction to women is still solid, along with men and other genders, even though I don't develop feelings or attractions to people around me that often. But one or two was enough for me to know.

It might be different for you, and it all differs from person to person. But I hope this helps or gives you some useful insight. Good luck!

#8 Alder, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  9. SumitaSofat

SumitaSofat Guest

It depends upon the person's mind. Some have a relationship with both man and woman. Some have with the same gender and some have with the opposite gender.
    Couple who are in relationship of opposite gender always open to the public but other are not open.

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew I was a lesbian several years before I ever even kissed a girl. I've had no reason to doubt that since. I've never had a relationship with a guy.

11. Shadowsylke

For me, it was. Sometimes you just meet that "right" person, and that's it. I was married at the time which made things very confusing for me at first, but I just connected with her on so many levels and in ways that I had never connected with anyone else in my life, so there was really no denying it.

If it had been a man it wouldn't have been seen as such a huge deal...straight people do it all the time. But because it was a woman, I had all this extra guilt and confusion...am I really gay, is it just a phase, etc. But in the end, it didn't matter that she was female...it mattered that she was HER. She is the one for me. She is my person. :slight_smile:

12. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Lucky you! I do realize that you must have gone through a lot though..

---------- Post added 14th Nov 2015 at 07:41 PM ----------

This may be a late reply, I appreciate your elaborate thoughts and sharing your experience. Helps me clarify my situation and feel positive and less of confusion.
    Moreover, maybe I will soon be ready to say I am bi? Will start with that.

13. cate1515

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is exactly the same for me. Me & my best friend fell in love with each other and formed a complete relationship almost 8 months ago. We are both married to men and have children, both of us have admitted we realize this was how we were always meant to be.

14. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Are you planning to move on as a couple, or stay this way? Do your spouses know?
    Do you see yourself getting older with her or husband?