1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being lesbian vs being straight and finding females arousing

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Hiraeth, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Hiraeth

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One of the main factors that led me to believe I was lesbian was being sexually aroused at images of naked women while images of naked guys don't do much. However, I just spent some time reading into this and found many accounts of women saying they identify as straight but actually get more aroused at images of naked women than of men. I also read that it's natural because women's bodies are sexualized in the media and stuff like that so even straight women are inclined to associate sex with them... which makes sense but was frustrating to read because it made me rethink everything! Since I have had romantic crushes on guys before what if I'm literally just straight and apparently more turned on by girls????

How is a lesbian supposed to differentiate herself from girls who claim to be straight but are more aroused by women?... I would think that it's different because I actually want to have sex with other females in real life and while I can appreciate some guys it's just not the same. I can also see myself most happily married to a woman, but I feel like that could also be debated like "ohh you probably just like the nurturing qualities of a female!!" So i don't know.. Do you think it's just a strictly visual thing for heterosexual females? I'm so confused!

#1 Hiraeth, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  2. lalalananana

If you can see yourself having sex / romantically involved with men and women, maybe you're bi?

But i dont think anyone should read too much into labels. As Shane from the L Word says.. "Sexuality is fluid, whether you're gay or you're straight or you're bisexual, you just go with the flow."

Hope that helps.

3. CPUNerdGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I know people say that's normal, but how do we know those women aren't actually bisexual, and just have been too pressured by our heterosexist society to not act on it, and hold too much internalized homophobia? Why wouldn't this affect gay men? I think society just worries about women not being with men because it undermines the Patriarchy.

I wouldn't say not being aroused by images of naked men means you're not attracted to men, though. But if you're never aroused by any guy, then yes, that's pretty gay.

And I totally know what you're going through. I first thought my attraction to women was how straight women felt, since society likes to make all women out to be latent bisexuals.

I think you're genuinely attracted to other women. I think you're probably also genuinely attracted to men, based on the crushes part. You might prefer women, though (join the club!).

4. Alianthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hiraeth, you took the words out of my mouth - that is exactly how I'm feeling right now, and it's so confusing. I don't mind whether I'm a lesbian, bisexual or straight, but I'd just like to be able to pin down how I feel, and decide which label fits me best. Although I do wish labels weren't necessary, for me being able to use these labels to describe how I feel would make coming out that much easier.

At the same time, I believe that over-thinking these things can often create more problems than it solves - some of the best advice I've heard recently is to just try not to think about it (easier said than done, I know), and just go out and live your life... date whoever you feel like and are attracted to, and just see where it leads. You can then decide which label fits you best (if you feel the need to give yourself a label) later, when your brain might not be confusing things so much. I am yet to try this, so I'm not sure how practical/possible I will find this advice yet - but everyone's different, so it may help you, who knows.

5. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    Would you want to be in an emotional committed relationship with a female, see yourself dating them, sharing space, living life with a female?

I think arousal is not the only indicator of your sexuality. My husband its completely straight but finds some men very attractive, he doesn't want a relationship with a man or to have sex with them but he does enjoy looking at them from time to time. On a similar not I know some gay women who also enjoy looking at a well chiseled mans body, but they do not want to have sex with them, or be emotionally involved.

So if you can differentiate or.explore the idea of all things related to what it means to have a relationship and do so with a woman in mind, you may be gay or bi. This idea that orientation is only about sex is why that thread about it being oversexualized was started :slight_smile:

6. Nora8116

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I would put it to a real life test. Like are you sexually and romantically attracted to guys or women you actually have interactions with ? Pictures are just that, people I think can be excited by a pic others need more than that to experience arousal but when it comes to real life action, would you want to be with a men ?

7. Hiraeth

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your input. My real question when making this post wasn't necessarily to label myself but to identify the true difference between being gay/bisexual and being attracted to the same sex. I'm not sure if I'm gay or bisexual because like I said, I've had crushes on guys, but it's an "at a distance" thing and when it comes to being intimate it's uncomfortable and I'm turned off. But I am interested in girls sexually and romantically. I'm still convinced though that I COULD potentially have sex with a guy and might enjoy it, but the guy would have to be an exception.

#7 Hiraeth, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  8. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    depends on if you are attracted just on looks but have no sexual desires or if you do have them sexual desires i guess. Maybe give it a go and see what you think no harm in trying out :wink:

9. jemand

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I found this relevant:
    What Women Want: Women Are Less Attracted To Masculinity And Men Are Less Attracted To Femininity

Also, it could just be empathy that causes your arousal when you view aroused women. Arousal by association sort of thing. I think because you are a woman and have female genitalia (I assume), you know how it feels for a woman to be aroused, and so when you see another woman aroused and acting sexually, you know how it feels on yourself and it turns you on because you like it.

This isn't really sexual attraction. It's more like sexual empathy. It's practically impossible to feel this for the opposite sex because you don't know what an aroused penis feels like. You don't know the throbbing pleasurable feeling of having one. So it doesn't really arouse you. You would have to start using your imagination in order to make the image of the penis something arousing - like maybe imagining the penis inside you. Because you would know what that would feel like -- it's something you can actually relate to.

And unless you are someone who can be aroused just by looking at nudity of men (most women agree that they cannot--that it does nothing for them), it's unlikely that you will find it arousing to look at still photos of males. You may need more than that. I think most women do.

My best advice to you would be to GET OUT OF YOUR HEAD and go experience actual human beings. Fantasies are just fantasies and should be treated and viewed as fantasies. Real sexual attraction happens with real human beings, not with the images you conjure up in your mind.

#9 jemand, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  10. Hiraeth

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure if I said this but no, I'm not atracted just by looks, and yes, I've done sexual things with both girls and guys.

---------- Post added 17th Sep 2015 at 07:30 PM ----------

The thoughts on sexual empathy are interesting. However, I think there is more to it than that because I'm usually imagining doing something with that woman, while if I imagine myself doing something with a guy it's ok but not as arousing. This pretty much translates into real life, because I react the same way with real people. I will try to view real attraction to people as the true indicator of sexual attraction and disregard the fantasies. Thanks!