1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Be her or be with her?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by OnceUponADream, Sep 19, 2015.

1. OnceUponADream

Out Status:
    A few people
    How can you tell your REALLY into someone or you just want to be them?

The first time I probably considered my sexuality (in a rather latent way I admit), was when I watched this video in middle school called "girl crushes" by Jenna Marbles. The video pretty much explains same sex attraction as "girl crushes" and that was pretty much how I understood my attraction to women for a very long time.

It kinda seems that the idea of a "girl crush" is rested upon the premise that you want to be this girl not be with her, but you admire her so much that that line is blurry.

So what's the difference between a real crush and a "girl crush"?

2. cromulent

I've been looking for a thread like this for a long time. For a while I struggled with telling apart admiration crushes and attraction crushes; there really is no definite line. I eventually gave up. There is such a thing as over-analyzing every waking thought you have.

(The following was supposed to be present tense, but my brain sort of malfunctioned.)

I realized that I thought of the girls I'd been crushing on a little differently than girls I wanted to be. Whenever I saw one of my (for real) crushes, I would subtly stop and stare at her until she was out of sight. If she approached me, I would never make eye contact, suddenly get tense and nervous, and respond to whatever she said briefly, for fear of making a fool of myself.

With role models, or girl crushes, I would find myself more chatty. I figured that if I got to know them better, I could do things to be more like them. I didn't chat up my actual crushes like that because A) I wasn't out and B) they were out of my league.

There were some similarities between both types of crushes: I would find myself a little self-conscious around them (with actual crushes, it was for fear of embarrassment; with role models, it was more out of feeling inferior). Also, I would find conversations with other people more interesting if either a crush or a girl crush of mine was mentioned.

But that's just me. In a way, I think actual crushes, especially same-gender crushes, are kind of a taste of both worlds. I mean, if you saw yourself as great and spectacular as you saw your girl crush, wouldn't you fall in love with yourself too?

3. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For me a real crush is when I can imagine myself kissing/having sex, or cuddling with that person whereas a "girl crush" is when I admire someone, usually for their personality. That admiration can be physical in that I envy their looks or style of dress but it's not sexual.

4. Spiritqueen

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    A "girl crush" is pretty much just admiring a girl's look/aesthetic.

An actual crush is a actually wanting a relationship with that person or craving intimacy.