1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kinsey 4!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Cubster1980, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Cubster1980

Out Status:
    Some people
    I was wanting to know what a person would or should classify themselves when they are around a 4 on the Kinsey Scale. A Kinsey 4 is predominantly homosexual but more than incidentally heterosexual. Would you call a Kinsey 4 gay or bisexual? I usually get around a 3.24-3.67 on the Klein Kinsey Grid. I am also ok with the word gay or bisexual.

2. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you could pick the title you prefer. Kinsey is a very rough approximation of sexual orientation.

3. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got about 4.30ish but I identify as more of a 5, and would consider myself a lesbian. The Kinsey scale is more of a guideline for figuring out your sexuality, and shouldn't really decide your sexuality for you.

If someone scores a 4 on the Kinsey scale, they may consider themselves bi due to the little attraction to the same sex, or they could consider themselves gay because they have a stronger attraction towards the same sex, so it really depends on what connection you desire if a relationship.

#3 Ameryllis, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  4. guitar

Call yourself whatever you're comfortable with. My question to you is: do you think you'd ever have sex with / date / marry someone of the opposite sex? If yes, bisexual is probably the best label. I'm about a Kinsey 5 but I seriously doubt I would ever do anything with a woman again, so I say "gay." If we're having a deep discussion about my sexuality I'll elaborate, but otherwise "gay" is a fairly accurate snapshot.

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kinsey 4 here, and definitely identify as bisexual. No question. Long-time history with a woman, but would date and/or have sex with men (and women) if I was on my own. It would be disingenuous of me to call myself a lesbian.

6. Cubster1980

Out Status:
    Some people
    I would have sex with a man or woman. I know it may be greedy but sometimes I feel like I want to have both at the same time. I actually like seeing a hot woman dominate a hot man and use a strap on on him. I tend to like it probably more than two men. I also do get aroused by women's boobs and vaginas as well. I usually say I am like 55/45 or 60/40. I can get turned on by straight, gay, lesbian, or bisexual sex.

7. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a 3 if I consider my relationship with my husband. 5 if I dont. I'm slowly realizing that I am more than likely a lesbian, as outside of my relationship with my husband I would never want to be with a man again, but do find some attractive just not enough to have sex or a relationship with them. I think you should identify with what FEELS best to you. Straight never felt good to me, bi felt off as well. Calling myself a lesbian makes me feel, alive? Still a hard emotion to put up as I've only recently come into this realization, but it feels different.

So go what you feel fits you best, and if you don't know, give it time and play with the labels and see.

8. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    It depends on two things:
    1) How accurate the Kinsey scale test actually is in describing your sexuality (there may be flaws there)
    2) What you feel comfortable identifying as

9. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's an analytic solution. Kinsey scale 4 is appropriately 70/30 homosexual/heterosexual according the following graph published by the Kinsey Institute - The Kinsey Institute - Kinsey Sexuality Rating Scale. Since you say your attraction is 60/40, which would be a Kinsey score of 3.5 (extrapolation based on the data points {(3, 50/50), (4, 70/30)}, you can safely identify as bisexual if you are comfortable with it.

I'm a 5 on the Kinsey scale (which is 90/10 per the graph) and identify as gay because it's far simpler than trying to explain bisexual with a 5 on the Kinsey scale. I realize that other folks may take a different approach and that's OK.

#9 SiennaFire, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  10. Chicagoblue

I like the Klein test much better. Kind of gives you a range.

11. Cubster1980

Out Status:
    Some people
    Kinsey 0: 100% straight 0% gay
    Kinsey 1: 83% straight 17% gay
    Kinsey 2: 67% straight 33% gay
    Kinsey 3: 50% straight 50% gay
    Kinsey 4: 33% straight 67% gay
    Kinsey 5: 17% straight 83% gay
    Kinsey 6: 0% straight 100% gay

12. AshleyDi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Be careful using those tests as the answer to your questions, because most of the answers to the tests are easy for you to manipulate so that you get the desired results. Unless you are answering 100% honest, than I would use the results as a helping factor.