1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question for the girls who like girls!

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by gbxx33, Oct 7, 2015.

1. gbxx33

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    looking back, what were some signs from your childhood that you were attracted to girls?

2. Lyana

There were few, maybe no "signs." There weren't really any signs I was attracted to guys, either (I'm bi). My first few crushes were on guys, and then I crushed on a girl, and that was it for me... when I met a girl I was attracted to. It felt exactly the same as with guys I'd liked.

My personal experience might not be all that helpful, but I think there are no real signs. For example, being nervous around other girls could be a sign, or it could just be a sign of shyness. Often staring at girls could be a sign, or it could be a sign of jealousy or platonic admiration.
    Looking back to your childhood isn't necessarily the most useful thing -- it might be better to focus on what you've felt more recently.

3. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm one of the weird ones who had no signs.

4. AvatarRachel

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to be jealous of guys because they were able to date girls. I also had a little bit of a crush on some girls maybe, but I've repressed it until I just decided to feel comfortable being attracted to girls.

5. Ivy Iris

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always wondered why all girls wanted to be with a boy. Yeah, they can be great friends, but girls are beautiful! I'd often think. That and the fact that I used to play with cars all the time and wear pants and have short hair and when playing with other kids I'd want to be the dragon, not a princess. I often got upset whenever people tried to make me girly and ask me about boys. It's amazing it took me more than 5 years to admit that I'm gay when I was so obvious.

6. grungeteen

I also had no signs at all. As a kid I either had no attraction to anybody or slight attraction to guys. It wasn't until a few months ago when I started to think about my sexuality that I actually started liking girls and wanting a girlfriend. Now I'm about 75 percent girls and the rest guys (tho I don't want to date a guy).

But when I was younger I had a few (secretive) boyfriends but I was never really that attracted to them now that I think about it. My mom is having a hard time accepting that I like girls too because she never saw any signs from me when I was a kid- nothing at all.

7. fxngirl

fxngirl Guest

I noticed a few signs from my childhood and early teenage:

- I was fascinated with lesbian couples on tv
    - I would hang out with the boys in my class because my girl friends would talk about boys all the time
    - I used to pair my barbies together, I never used Ken :grin:

8. TheStormInside

A crush on my best friend.. I would write our initials all over my notebooks even. :icon_redf At the time I didn't really recognize it for what it was, though, and I considered it to be strong friendship, or that we were like "sisters."

Also, feeling that I would never want to get married. Some girls are planning their wedding as kids/teens, for me the whole idea just did nothing for me. Now I realize being married to a guy isn't for me, but being married to a wonderful woman would be just the thing :slight_smile: .

9. TeaTree

I also never wanted to get married, didn't even occur to me why should I.
    In kindergarten I had only girls as friends and also didn't even occur to me what's the need for boys in a girls life back then :icon_bigg

I remember when I was about 11 I saw a picture in a magazine with a few women walking in a park and I imagined my ideal future as in that picture - hanging out with girls, relaxed, in a park.

And still, it took me some time to finally connect the dots...

Also I remember noticing how beautiful some of my female friends were in kindergarten and later in elementary school I was always jealous when my best friend wanted to hang out with other girls.

Also I've always felt somehow different than the other girls but didn't really know why...

10. Mags the Goron

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    For me, nothing really happened. I was just sitting in class, not paying attention to the teacher, and as my mind wandered, I looked at some random girls in my class and thought, "I could date you. Or you. Or you." I also always knew that I had the capacity to be close friends with a guy without falling in love with him, which a lot of the girls around me at the time didn't seem to have.

11. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No signs, really. Just maybe some more special feelings for my crush back then that I never noticed until now. That's about it.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

"Girls are nice. I like them."

Pretty easy.

13. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My family and I lived next to some neighbours whose daughter was a lesbian and had a girlfriend. I found myself watching her kiss her girlfriend a lot, and I'd end up sneaking the television on just to watch TV programs which had lesbian scenes in it.

According to my mother, she'd 'guessed' because I was always favouring female singers over male ones. Not sure that I see the link but ok. :shrug:

14. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't quite identify as a girl anymore, but back when I did think (incorrectly) that I was a cis girl and I was realizing I liked girls, some signs I looked back on were:

• My crush on this primary school teacher
    • How I felt towards one of my friends, who was a girl, I was super protective, was very close to her, and was really jealous when someone else came into the picture. I'm pretty sure at some point I imagined a future living with her and even told her about it- I was quite young but I was quite serious
    • My celebrity crushes on a few female celebrities
    I don't know how far back into childhood you mean here, so I could talk about teenage years, and my really big crush on this girl in my class in high school, and what I felt watching TV/reading books with lesbian and bisexual characters. Many, many signs began cropping up as I began to think about it and think about what I wanted, but that was later on.

But in early childhood, I didn't actually have that many signs. I only began to figure things out more as I got older. As a kid I just sort of didn't think about this kind of stuff much at all, I just sort of assumed that I would grow up, mature into a woman, exclusively like guys...

And look at where we are now!

#14 Alder, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  15. idsm

in order of appearance:

- fondness of all the stereotypically male/boyish things (clothes,toys,games,shows)
    - attachment to some female friends and classmates. Attempting to impress them, even though I had no idea why.
    - fascination about A LOT of female teachers and grown women. Again without realizing neither the fact itself nor the reason behind it. Teachers still remain by far my greatest fantasy (!)

After a lot of years of such symptoms I stumbled upon a random lesbian scene on a movie (non lesbian movie). It felt so weirdly attracting and I related to the scene so much that I searched the topic online and after some reading I came to realize that not only am I a lesbian, but I´ve been in love for about a decade.

#15 idsm, Oct 8, 2015
  16. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

-Starting around 2nd grade, I always stared at peoples' boobs a lot. A. Lot.
    -I was a big tomboy and always played with guys a lot, which isn't necessarily indicative of being gay but still.
    -If you've seen Night at the Museum 2 where Amy Adams plays Amelia Earhart. Yeah. Pretty sure she was my first girl crush and in my head I was like "no, I don't have a crush on her, I just like her personality, that's all."
    -One day when I was around 10 maybe my mom asked me if I thought any guys were cute. I remembered being really confused and I told her "Well not really, I mean I can never really tell when a guy's cute or not, just if other people think they're cute."
    -I might have had a crush on a girl named Emily in 6th grade. Everyone thought she was a little conceited but I was just really drawn to her and liked being around her and just hearing her talk.
    -I have no idea if this was actually gay or me just being awkward. I went to an after school event in fourth grade and as soon as I saw my friend who's a girl I automatically wanted to run up and kiss her without thinking. I even tried to and there was this awkward moment where she was holding me away from her and then I realized oh gosh what am I doing?
    -I never really understood when people would have little relationships when they were younger, I just didn't get the appeal.
    -I also didn't really like songs sung by females as much maybe because they were usually singing about guys?

#16 bubbles123, Oct 8, 2015
  17. CanadianGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Although I didn't develop romantic attraction until much later, I pretty much always had a strong aesthetic attraction to them. I could admire them all day. It would be very rare that I thought a guy was attractive, but the average girl I could think was pretty. Any time there was a male character in a story I liked, I thought "You know, they would be so much cooler if they were a girl." In general I think I just looked at girls waaay more than a straight girl would.

18. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much the same for me!

And that crush I had on this adorable intern social worker.:icon_redf

19. SnowshoeGeek

Uhhh.... playing "doctor" with the little girls at summer camp. And I was totally the instigator! :icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf

20. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my childhood? I would probably say when I had a REALLY unhealthy obsession with Shania Twain. I would kind of sit on my bed staring at her on the album cover and think how pretty she was...
    Kinda creepy but what do you want from a 9 year old? XD