1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like "I'm not allowed" to call myself a lesbian because of no relationship exp

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by TeaTree, Oct 14, 2015.

1. TeaTree

Or before having any experience with women?
    Does anyone else have this issue?

Maybe people who have had relationship experience with the opposite sex only but later realized that were gay.

This is really messing with my head. I feel like I'm "fake" or cannot consider myself part of lgbt until I will have real life experience. I think if I were below twenty or something, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But being 34 and after a ltr and several short ones with men I feel I'm not allowed to be gay.

It's like a catch 22 - I can't date women yet because I feel I'm not a lesbian because I have no dating experience with women yet...:icon_bigg

2. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: I feel like "I'm not allowed" to call myself a lesbian because of no relationship

Yea I'm there, not from lack of experience. Ive never had relationships with women but have been with women sexually but because I've only he'd relationships with men. Married to a man. Ive always had this internal conversation about, i cant be gay, ive only been with men, or i cant be gay cause im married. I can be bisexual, but cant say that cause im outwardly hetero living. Its been 5+yrs of this battle going on, sincethe first time i even dare write anything publicly about my questioning. I locked it away then, cant seem to now.

But im there. I feel like with being in a hetero relationship, my only long term relationship at that. Coming out as a lesbian will not be taken well or people will think im fake? Idk.but i know what you are feeling and it just adds tothe confusion of all this!

3. waternation

waternation Guest

Re: I feel like "I'm not allowed" to call myself a lesbian because of no relationship

You're totally allowed to call yourself bi or lesbian, although I do see where you're coming from. I've only been in a serious relationship with a guy before, I've kissed a girl, haven't dated one yet. But that's because the girls that I've liked have been straight (or because I was in that other relationship) -__- But I know that's where my preference is. I would loooove to have a girlfriend. I think you can definitely know without dating someone first. You know you get butterflies and feel attraction and get crushes. Sometimes it can just take a while to accept a new label, or adjusting that part of your identity because straight is safe and what you know, even though it's not accurate.

There's no rules to being bi or gay, it's just who you're attracted to. You're completely valid (*hug*)

There are others here who have realised that they're bi or gay later on when they've been married too... It might be good checking out the 'LGBT later in life' forum and getting in touch with some people for support there :icon_bigg

4. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people

Teatree is an active part of the latet in life forum :slight_smile:

5. Lyana

Legitimacy doesn't come with experience, TeaTree. What you're feeling isn't uncommon, but it's... incorrect. A lot of people come out with no experience whatsoever -- having never dated either gender. A lot of people come out after long-term relationships with the opposite gender. Realizing who you are a bit later than others doesn't mean you're wrong now, it means you were wrong before. If you're only into women, you are a lesbian.

6. waternation

waternation Guest

Ahhh, sorry!!

7. Distant Echo

Straight people know they are straight despite not having any relationship experience...why should it be any different for whatever variation of gay we are? Don't deny yourself who you know you are. We've done that quite long enough.(&&&)

8. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

Wow perfectly said. I there too. I feel I am Hetero by default, based on my behavior and who I am married to.

We are old enough to be who we are without apologies. Not without confusion, but without apologies and or explanations to others of why we now feel we are bi or gay. It is who we are, who we have always been but Bc of so many things (differs for everyone), we ignored it, stifled it, kept it locked away.

As has been said straight people don't know they are straight by dating the opposite sex...we don't have to know we are not straight, whatever form that takes, by dating the same sex. I never have dated a woman, am married to a man, and def know I not straight and to be honest I knew this before I ever met my husband. Maybe the point now in our life is that it's not a matter of "knowing" it's a matter of allowing to be.

9. Foz

Foz Guest

Can every other teenager not call themselves straight because they've not been in a relationship with the opposite sex? No. Sexuality is what you are attracted to, not your relationship experience.

10. TeaTree

Also one more thing, I don't want to feel guilty anymore because coming out after thirty.

I know I shouldn't, but there is this idea that you should realize your sexuality in your teens and come out as soon as possible, otherwise you are making a mistake, you are wrong, you are in denial etc.

Sure, in a way I've had these insights about me being attracted to women, from time to time since I was 14 or something. Sure, I couldn't accept it due to various reasons. But a few months ago I came out to myself and I'm trying to redefine myself in this new light since then.

The idea is that I think everybodies path is different and there is no right time and wrong time to come out. I would go as far as to say that there is no "mistake" in my denial.

I was thinking today about this and realized that if I would have consciously aknowledged that I'm gay while I was in my teens, with my anxiety, depression and low self esteem issues in that time and place, I'm not sure I would still be here writing this.

So maybe all this makes sense. We are not wrong or right, we are just living our own lives and adding diversity to the world :slight_smile:

Still freaking hard though not to feel so isolated sometimes...

11. Shadowsylke

Ha! Great comment!

Hon, you are lesbian if you feel you are a lesbian. You are not a fake, and you certainly don't need anyone else's permission. So you came to your truth a little bit later in life...so what? Nothing wrong with that. I had ten plus years of marriage before I figured it out. It happens.

And the "experience" part? That'll come. :icon_wink

12. CapColors

Dude, cut yourself some slack! Jeez!

I am SUPER attracted to women even though I've only kissed one girl 20 years ago. I just know it, and I know you know what you are, too.

If anyone tells you differently, fuck 'em.

(Actually, if they are gay that is not a bad plan. You can be like oh god, you're right! I guess you have to sleep with me now! :slight_smile: )

I kid, I kid...

13. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Yeah TeaTree I can definitely relate. As I identify as bisexual with virtually zero same sex sexual contact it is constantly causing me to question myself. I also worry that I'm gay but that some secret switch hasn't been flipped in my head because of this lack of experience. But, when I go through my day I find myself attracted to men and women. This is ultimately what I base my sexual identity on. Still always tough to feel confident about it though.

14. TeaTree

Haha, great advice, actually that would maybe solve more issues at once :icon_bigg

15. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Exactly.
    When you know it, you just...know it deep inside. Like straight people know they're straight you can know that you like girls.

I always knew that I like girls - even without any experience - and I never questioned my interest for girls. I only questioned if I'm bi or lesbian.

You don't need any evidence or experience to call yourself a lesbian.
    Some people discover their sexuality earlier and some later, that's totally fine.

16. CapColors

I SO relate to this. I know it's not PC to refer to bisexuality as a "phase" but clearly it IS a _transition label_ in many (not all!) cases. Plus, if sexuality is fluid, any one temporal sample could be a "phase" in many senses of the word.

So I think it's natural a) to suspect a self-labeled bi person MIGHT change in the future and b) to think that of ONESELF, especially if you don't have much experience or are newly awakened.*

But here I am, day in and day out, just wanting to sleep with everyone lol. I guess I just have to go with that for now.

---
    *There's a huge difference between being aware of this aspect of bisexual labels and being an asshole about it, of course. No one should be made to feel invalid.

#16 CapColors, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015