1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think Homoflexible and heteroflexible exist?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by grungeteen, Oct 15, 2015.

1. grungeteen

I think I'm Homoflexible.

Many people don't think homoflexibilty and heteroflexibility aren't valid sexualities and isn't exist, what do you think? Some people just say it's just another way to say bisexual but you get more 'attention'.

What do u think?

2. gbxx33

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Of course they exist! But a lot of people are ignorant in this subject area, unfortunately. :/
    Sexuality is a spectrum, and people can be very close to the either end of the spectrum but not completely at the end. I mean, it's kind of another way to say "bisexual with a very very strong preference", but if "bisexual" doesn't resonate with you then "homoflexible" or "heteroflexible" are absolutely legitimate ways to label yourself. :slight_smile:

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I think it's definitely legitimate. I mean, hetero- and homoflexible are just kind of one step toward the center of the sexuality spectrum from 'straight/gay but curious'. No one says that doesn't exist. So why should one little extra step not exist?

There is no problem with those labels, other than that people might not 100% understand what they mean right away; it might require a quick explanation.

4. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Homoflexible is just a fancy word for bisexual with a preference for your own gender

5. TheStormInside

I agree with gbxx33. Heteroflexible and Homoflexible are just at either end of the sexuality spectrum, but not *quite* at the most extreme ends. In my mind, I'd consider myself homoflexible. Most people would not know what that means, and it's also a bit of a mouthful, so I tend to just use "gay" as a "close enough" identifier.

6. QBear

I absolutely believe that homoflexible is a real sexual orientation, in so much as we recognize that sexual orientation is a continuous variable (e.g. a spectrum), not a categorical one (e.g. "gay" vs. "straight"). There are now decades of research findings that support the idea of a spectrum, including Dr. Lisa Diamond's considerable work on sexual orientation and sexual fluidity. See for example, this really interesting presentation she gave at Cornell University in 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2rTHDOuUBw

Actually, I believe homoflexible is different than bisexual with a preference for the same gender. Homoflexible means mostly gay, but not completely turned off by the opposite sex. On the Kinsey scale (0 - 6, with 0 being 100% straight, and 6 being 100% gay), homoflexible is 5.

I usually use the following terms for the positions on the Kinsey scale:

0 = 100% Straight
    1 = Heteroflexible
    2 = Straight Leaning Bisexual
    3 = 50/50 Bisexual
    4 = Gay Leaning Bisexual
    5 = Homoflexible
    6 = 100% Gay

In my experience, a Kinsey 6, 100% gay man can't even entertain the thought of having sex with a woman. He is grossed out by vaginas. Whereas a Kinsey 5, homoflexible guy could have sex with a woman, but just wouldn't enjoy it much 98% of the time. But there might be the very rare woman that he might be attracted to - or he might occasionally fantasize about women while masturbating, but definitely not want to be in a relationship with a woman. This is not an insignificant difference.

---
    All of that said, it's perfectly fine and sometimes very practical for homoflexible people to "round up" to gay in social situations, because it's less complicated to explain.

#6 QBear, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  7. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wasn't there already a similar thread like this?

But to answer the OP's question, yes, homo/heteroflexible's do exist (I'm one of them).

With that said, which orientation do I align closest to: Bisexual or Gay? It's definitely gay, so I adopt the gay label.

8. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is pretty much my feelings exactly, except being a girl here, but that's sort of frighteningly accurate still. The terms can get rather confusing but it makes sense to me at least.

9. YinYang

Of course there is homoflexible and heteroflexible. They are basically bisexual with extreme preferences towards a specific gender and almost never sexual attraction to the other gender, but that's way too long of an explanation. Homoflexible and heteroflexible summarize that explanation quickly and easily.

10. guitar

I'm really curious to hear Chip's take on this (I know he's written about this in the past), as he fairly well-read on the psychology and studies examining this topic.

If we're considering hetero/homoflexible to be about a Kinsey 5 (or 1) then it certainly exists, as that's basically what my sexuality is. It's how a lot of gay people, such as myself, are able to go for so long in heterosexual relationships. There's just enough of an attraction to allow you date/have intercourse/whatever else with someone of the opposite sex.

11. crazydiamond

You can use whatever label feels comfortable for you. No one has a right to tell you what you can identify as. But for me, I think the more specific labels get, the more confusing it is. We shouldn't have to explain our sexualities at such depth for other people. But if it helps you, go for it. I've been with men before, but I feel at this point that I can only really enjoy being with women so I've started to identify as a lesbian. But I won't say that there wouldn't ever be a time where I might be attracted to a man. But it's really no one's business, because at that point people would get skeptical and I would have to explain myself or defend my label. It's just easier in my opinion to not divulge every facet of your sexuality.

12. MrSkittles

Of course I do! I identify myself as Homoflexible