1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

questioning sexuality.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ruby421, Oct 15, 2015.

1. ruby421

hi everyone :slight_smile:, well i am having some serious questioning of my sexuality, i thought i was straight and then my best friend happened, she is amazing and i love her, in more ways then one, and i have since i was 13 (i am 14 now btw) but she lives across the country :frowning2:

anyway i realized i like her like that, and i just thought this is what friendship feels like.....i was very stupid, but i put my feelings on the shelf and ignored them started talking about how hot (random guy name here) is and pretty much being super straight,

i have always been a tomboy though, hate makeup, jewelry, dolls the whole deal, dont get me wrong i like to look pretty but..just without makeup and all that stuff, but after ignoring it for a year i was talking to someone about something and they said, maybe you are bi

that thought took over everything, because it made me think of my best friend, of all the girls i have ever liked..and i realized i have never like a boy like that.

so know i am wondering if i am bi or just straight up lesbian....this is so stressful

2. LyonTheGreat

LyonTheGreat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being a tomboy has nothing to do with sexuality..., and you posted this on the wrong thread. This is for Transgender people XD

3. ruby421

oh crap XD sorry....i am new..and obviously bad at forums

4. gbxx33

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    First of all, I'm not sure what LyonTheGreat is talking about.... you definitely posted this in the correct forum! This is the sexual and romantic orientation forum, not the gender forum.

As far as your sexuality, I think the first thing you should know is that you are still quite young and you have lots of time to figure yourself out. There's no need to stress right now. :slight_smile:

I would say you are probably attracted to girls, given how you feel about your friend.
    You said you've always thought you were straight before, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything about your sexuality - in our heteronormative society, many people grow up believing that they're straight for a long time, even when they're not.

In order to figure out whether you are bi or lesbian, try to picture yourself in a relationship with a guy, kissing a guy, marrying a guy - how does that make you feel? Are there any boys in your life who you would be interested in dating? Do you think you have the capacity to feel the way about a boy that you do about your friend?
    These answers may not come right away, and that's okay, but as you go about your daily life you will begin to realize the answers.

And to repeat what LyonTheGreat said, being a tomboy has nothing to do with your sexuality. Stereotypes only hold some truth and they really won't be helpful for you in determining your sexuality. The only thing that will truly give away your sexuality is simply which gender(s) you are attracted to.

I can't tell you what your sexuality is, and it may take a while to figure it out for yourself, but it's important to remember that it's totally okay to be lesbian, bi, pan, whatever :slight_smile:

Finally, remember that you don't need to label yourself right now. Just go with the flow, do some introspection and see who you really feel attracted to, and it will all become clear eventually :slight_smile:

5. choirsmash

You've got to go deep inside yourself to figure it all out. It could take awhile. You're young, don't worry too much about it at this point. While I wish I would've known when I was your age, I'm glad I didn't worry much about it until I was 17. It would've screwed with everything in my life and I didn't need more of that. Focus on your friendships and schoolwork and all that jazz. That being said, I'm not saying you need to just forget about it. That's impossible and you definitely shouldn't do that. I just think you might benefit from focusing on other things at this point in your life. Sexuality is also relatively fluid, things can change. Being bi, I know a lot about this. Sometimes I'm more attracted to guys, sometimes I'm more attracted to girls, it's whatever. I would just go with your feelings, but not act on anything at this point. Don't feel rushed into coming out or anything.
    I don't know if this helped at all (or made much sense for that matter), but I hope it kind of did. Good luck, may the odds be ever in your favor, you rock no matter what sexual orientation you are. Be fierce.

6. ruby421

thank you guys, this place has been really great, and i hope that i can just leave it for now :frowning2: no there isn't any guys i could imagine myself with, maybe there will be someone someday, or as the only person i have talked to anyone about this has said, i could always meet someone nice at a pride rally XD
    and i am home schooled at the moment but next year i will be in 10th grade at a real school so maybe i will be able to figure more out then. :slight_smile: