1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What am I - the advanced version

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by SiennaFire, Oct 17, 2015.

1. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I identify as gay when the choices are {straight, bisexual, gay}. This is how I identify to others in the real world.

My orientation is more complicated than a ternary choice :slight_smile:

• I identify as Kinsey 5 when the choices are {0, 1 (straight), 2, 3 (bisexual), 4, 5, 6 (gay)}.
    • I think of and identify as homoflexible as the equivalent of Kinsey 5.
    • D5 or E5 on the Purple-Red Scale
    • Homoromantic bisexual captures my sexuality in a way that Kinsey 5 alone does not because it is qualitatively superior (separate categories for the romantic and physical) but loses the quantitative measure of degree.
    Homoromantic bisexual feels closest to the truth, except I want to include a number to capture quantitative measure of degree.

Is there a guide to orientation terms somewhere? I'm looking for the complete list of labels :slight_smile:

#1 SiennaFire, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  2. QBear

Mmm, set notation. That's hot.
    Good question about terminology. Although the Kinsey scale is well backed by research and is useful for self exploration and discussion, your right that it doesn't reflect the orthogonal dimensions of sexual attractions and romantic attraction.

The Klein Grid did include separate sexual and romantic dimensions, but its also perhaps overly complicated, doesn't include terms for all the different possibilities, and in some implementations, averages across all the dimensions to spit out a Kinsey score.

So yeah, I'm not aware of a good system that incorporates both the Kinsey scale and sexual/romantic dichotomy. Anyone else out there?

Of course, our dear administrator CHIP will tell us that there is no research evidence to support the belief that romantic and sexual attraction are separate. But that is despite considerable lived experience reported by many people on here, and without actually providing a literature review to prove his point.

#2 QBear, Oct 17, 2015
  3. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mmm, orthogonal that's hot :slight_smile:

My next relationship will be with a guy, so this is an exercise in precision for EC threads. I came out because I could not meet my homoromantic needs in the closet. I want a BF/partner and that's very hard to pull off in the closet.

I want to be careful and not construct new orientations without properly vetting them. My first entry in this area was unfortunate - I identified as bi-sexual with strong same sex attraction. Little did I know that the term "same sex attraction" was already claimed by the people who practice reparative therapy and viewed as having a negative connotation by the EC community.

---------- Post added 17th Oct 2015 at 02:39 PM ----------

I feel like I'm applying the Diamond Sutra to my orientation ...

Gay is gay.
    Gay is not gay.
    Gay is gay.

#3 SiennaFire, Oct 17, 2015