1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asexual? Lesbian? Or Pan?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by VioletViolence, Oct 18, 2015.

1. VioletViolence

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really know how to identify myself when it comes to Sexual/Romantic Orientation.

At first I thought I would be Pansexual, because it doesn't matter to me who the person is or identifies themself as, but since I was little I just wasn't attracted to guys that often, and now I realize I'd prefer to be with a girl than a boy(but not exactly like a Lesbian??).

Recently when I learned that there's also "Romantic Orientation", I'm now thinking I could be Asexual. I have never been sexually attracted to the male sex(the thought kinda grosses me out, and I would never do it willingly), and overall, having sex isn't something I care about. When it comes to female sex though, I wouldn't mind doing it to please my partner. When I was 13-14, I thought sex would be more appealing when I got older, but now being 16 it still isn't. And when I used to think I was Pansexual, maybe I'm actually Panromantic(with a preference to woman)?

The person's gender identity doesn't matter to me, but I think I also prefer girls in that sense, too.

This is my first thread on here, sorry if it's a bit weird or something ^^' thanks for reading :slight_smile:

2. littleraven

You definitely could be asexual and panromantic with more of a preference for girls. I'm still learning about these things myself, but I think your on the right track. Also, if you never pinpoint or label your exact sexual or romantic attraction, that's okay, too.

Also, welcome to EC. (*hug*)

#2 littleraven, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could be panromantic asexual, panromantic demisexual, or panromantic graysexual, with a preference for girls.

Welcome to EC! ^^

4. VioletViolence

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for replying!
    All these labels for sexual/romantic orientation can get confusing, but it's kinda cool since it shows how it's not all straight-or-bi-or-gay ^^ I think the label I'm closest to is panromantic gray-asexual (with a preference for girls), glad to finally have a label I can settle with haha ^^
    And thanks! (*hug*)

---------- Post added 25th Oct 2015 at 01:33 PM ----------

Thank you for replying!
    I looked up what demisexual and gray-asexual was, and the gray-asexual definition described me almost perfectly! It was great to read about it and see that other people felt the same way I do, and were as confused as I was. I've never even heard of gray-asexual before.
    Thanks! ^^

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oy vey.

"demisexual" and "grey asexual" are not widely accepted terms, and there's no research to support the idea that they exist, except as part of the normal, ordinary variation of widely accepted sexual orientations. Nor is there any credible research to support the idea of a separation between romantic and sexual orientations. All of these ideas have been perpetrated by a tiny group that has nothing to base any of these contentions on, and unfortunately, this groupthink is spreading among some groups that don't value scientific study.

It is far, far more likely that, particularly at your age, you simply haven't developed strong sexual attraction. This is something that some people feel at 12 and other people don't feel until their 20s... and a very small minority of the population (less than 1%) never develop sexual feelings at all.

It's also possible that if there are other factors going on for you (depression, anxiety, nervousness, worry)... that those can be affecting your sexual attraction and arousal, because all of those factors do have a significant impact on those things, so if those are there, it's going to be impossible to get an accurate read on where your real attraction level lies. The same is true if you're on almost any mood-altering medication.

So, for my money, unless you really need to have a label, I simply wouldn't worry about it... go on and experience life, take your time, try whatever appeals to you as far as relationships and sexuality... and let your answer come to you in time.

6. DinelodiiGitli

Chip I'm not really sure why you care what labels they choose to use.

It's hard enough for asexuals as it is and a lot of us choose forums like this as safe places not do run into stuff like this. While I personally am not all that sensitive what you're saying could really hurt another member and what they are isn't hurting you any so why not just let them be?

7. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be clear... I don't care what label someone uses. I do care that they get accurate information in trying to figure out who they are. So my intention is certainly not to harm anyone. Quite the opposite. If you read what I wrote, I was essentially saying "Be yourself, whatever that is." The OP asked for input on what identity she might be and I said, in essence, "Given where you are, it's hard to tell, so why not simply be who you are without worrying about the label."

When one adopts a label that could essentially constrain the ability to experience the full range of connection that human beings are capable of... that's doing oneself a disservice. Now, if that label is instead an objective description of who one is, that's one thing, and that makes sense.

But the pattern is that people are increasingly mistaking easily solvable problems (depression, anxiety, medication-based depression of sexual arousal) for permanent, unchangable personality charactieristics.

When various people who have adopted these labels -- whether after a period of self-reflection and understanding, or because somebody convinced them to do so -- encourage others to adopt them as a first choice, that is a huge disservice, and really irresponsible. I get why it happens... people in any circumstance who are outside the mainstream are constantly looking for others to help validate where they are, because we are fundamentally wired for connection. But it doesn't make it right. And that's why I'm as strongly vocal about it as I am.

8. VioletViolence

Out Status:
    A few people
    To Chip:

Just because terms like "demisexual" or "gray-asexual" are not widely accepted, doesn't mean they do not exist. If anything, I think that means there should be more awareness for them, so that they become widely accepted. Also, I'm not sure what research or scientific study one could do to know if those terms exist, or if there really is a difference between "sexual" and "romantic" orientation. I mean, say there is a person who has developed romantic feelings(by "romantic" I mean "liking more than a friend", or wanting to give/receive affection that friends probably wouldn't do, like kissing or hand-holding) for someone, but the thought or idea of having sex or doing anything sexual with them, isn't something they're really attracted to. You can't say "that person is asexual, they don't develop feelings for anyone, and they're not attracted to anyone", because they're actually only not sexually attracted to anyone. They are asexual, but they also have some romantic orientation, too.

About the demisexual and gray-asexual terms, everything is a spectrum, right? Whether it's gay-to-straight, boy-to-girl, sexual-to-asexual, etc.(of course there's also non-binary). There are people who may as well call themselves asexual, but they might have sexual attraction once in awhile or rarely, or under certain circumstances. Then they're not completely asexual.

I agree and understand when you're talking about age, that maybe I just haven't developed sexual attraction yet and that it's different for everyone when they do, but right now I don't think I ever will(though that can change). I doubt less than 1% of the population has never developed sexual feelings, since there are so many factors that can change that percentage, but I don't know.

I also agree that factors like depression, anxiety, medication, etc., can make it harder to accurately know what someone is attracted to. However, this is something I have been thinking about for years, when I had different levels of anxiety and depression, etc, and right now, leaning towards asexual, I believe this is most accurate. Again, this can change.

Lastly, sorry for making this long, having a label or finding a label that suits you best, can make someone feel less alone, or let them know there's someone similar to them. Like you said they're not really necessary and could cause problems, but sometimes it's just nice to have something to help you define who you are.

Thank you for your concern, and thanks for replying :slight_smile: I'm sorry if I misread/misinterpreted /misunderstood anything you said in your replies.

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really need to make a sticky post or reference of some sort on this because I end up repeating myself endlessly. (I've written on this many times, in many different ways, and you can search my posts related to these topics if you want to see more detail.) But here we go again.

Yes, lack of wide acceptance is not the same as lack of existence. However, in this case, we do in fact have about 40 years worth of credible, solid study on many variations of sexual attraction, orientation, arousal, and just about everything else, in most every permutation, and about 70 years of study going back further if we look at Kinsey's work, which was an outlier in its time. And unlike the tired and inaccurate comparison about how homosexuality used to be considered an illness and wasn't accepted, we can't really use that argument here because orientation and attraction and arousal *have* been studied extensively... and nowhere in that study has the concept of these unrecognized orientations ever shown up. Given the combination of qualitative methodologies (focused on identifying and documenting behavior and particularly good at identifying new areas for research) and quantitative research (more robust and reproducible), it's pretty likely something would have come up with this by now if it were objectively measurable. And that hasn't happened. Additionally, one is really hard pressed to find many credible clinicians, who would be the ones in the trenches seeing these things day in and day out, supporting any indication that these actually exist separate from the (almost hopelessly confounded) conditions such as anxiety and depression that are causative factors for what these groups are describing as a sexual orientation.

So can we say, definitively, that these unrecognized identities don't exist? No. But we can say that, with 40 years of study on sexual identity, and the consensus of experience of the overwhelming majority of professionals in the field, that they've seen no evidence of them, which is pretty close to the same thing.

Actually, no. We don't want wide acceptance of something that doesn't exist, because that doesn't help anyone. And since we don't know if these identities do actually exist, outside of the confounds described above, or what fits within the normal, ordinary spectrum of mainstream sexual identities, promoting something simply because a tiny handful of people believe it exists really doesn't serve anyone's interests in the long run, including the people who might identify as something that could be masking another issue that, arguably, should be explored to see if it can be resolved.

Since we are wired for connection -- it is basically why we are here, and that's pretty well documented -- the ability to connect emotionally and intimately with others serves, for most people, as an important part of that connection. Yes, there is a tiny portion of the population (less than 1% by most data I've seen) who are genuinely without sexual attraction or orientation in a way that appears to be hardwired. But most of the self-identified people on "the asexual spectrum" either don't match the criteria for that identification, or if they do, there is a confounding factor (medication, anxiety, depression, family-of-origin history, reduced emotional expression) that causes the same depression of sexual attraction/arousal, and it's irresponsible to suggest to someone that they might have an unchangeable condition that limits their level of connection when it might be caused by another factor that could be corrected.

The field of psychology has some brilliant scholars that have come up with some very innovative and creative ways to look at these things from a quantitative perspective. And from a qualitative perspective, it's even easier. In fact, there's already a mountain of research that's looked at attraction, orientation, arousal, and depression of sexual drive in a myriad of different ways. This is most definitely a researchable topic, and while I've not seen research dedicated specifically to this field (probably because most researchers believe the issue has already adequately been covered), it has certainly been explored.

And therein lies the problem. If I have the flu, I'm not going to have much in the way of sexual arousal, because my body is going to suppress the hormones and neurotransmitters associated with arousal so it can fight disease. I'm not "asexual" or "gray asexual" on the days I have the flu... I simply have a condition that's limiting my arousal and attraction. Nor am I asexual because I had a bad day at work and don't feel aroused when I get home. Nor if I take a medication that suppresses sex drive. There are dozens of variants that can affect arousal for an hour to years. So it's not accurate (and generally not helpful) to label ourselves as something that's supposed to be pretty static and unchanging (as sexual orientation is generally recognized to be) if it is changing due to unrelated factors (medication, depression, anxiety, mood, etc.)

If you were to ask a random sampling of people over 25, let's say straignt people to make it simple, I think you'd be surprised how many of them never felt any real sexual attraction or arousal until their late teens. In fact, several generations ago, puberty came much later (on average) than it does now. So there are still many people who simply have no arousal or attraction until late teens or sometimes early 20s. Then you add in the family-of-origin, emotional and psychological factors... and you have a pretty large segment of the population who has these experiences. But it wasn't until just a few years ago that somebody decided they needed to label what has been around for probably hundreds of years, and is widely recognized to fit within the normal spectrum of human behavior, as some sort of special orientation.

Actually, I completely understand and get this, but here too, there's a huge risk, and it's identified pretty clearly by Brené Brown's work on shame. Basically, shame is the deeply held belief that we are not worthy of love and belonging. So if we feel "different" than others, we will feel that we don't belong. We may spend years trying to "fit in" (this is what LGBT people do when closeted) but that has a severe impact on self-esteem, because we *know* we don't belong, and that just makes our shame worse.

When we choose a label for the sake of "fitting in", we are doing exactly that: We are fitting in, rather than belonging, especially if the label is an unrecognized one. It is when we understand and acknowledge that labels don't affect who we are, and don't create connection, or keep us from having connection, that we are truly able to be comfortable with ourselves exactly as we are, without needing a special label to justify our existence.

10. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This whole conversation about the merits of certain sexualities aside, I think this quote is important to keep in mind.

Labels can be handy, but too often, people are dependent on them to feel validated in what they are feeling. Questioning how you identify should be about accepting yourself, not finding a community/label to accept you.

11. Uncolored

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not going to tell you that you aren't asexual, that is for you to decide but I will tell you that you are fairly young and your orientation may not be fully developed yet. That aside, I do think that it is great that you are reflecting on your sexuality now, I wish that I had done the same thing when I was younger.
    I will tell you this: The frontal part of brain called the pre-frontal cortex does not fully develop until a woman is between 20-22 years of age and for a man when is is 21-24 years of age. The pre-frontal cortex is responsible for decision making and is involved in some ways with sexual attraction/orientation. It is also mainly involved with personality and for that reason, your personality type will keep shifting, even throughout college. I was an ISFJ in my mid-teens, then an INTP in early college, and now I am an ESFJ personality type. I was also set on women in my early teens and then I became completely straight for years and now I am solely interested in women again. Things change and it is perfectly okay.

---------- Post added 2nd Nov 2015 at 12:25 AM ----------

I agree, well said.