1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else find certain lables uncomfortable

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by alli o, Oct 25, 2015.

1. alli o

alli o Guest

OK so personaly I cringe when I hear lesbian and I am not sure why I don't know if it is just because am not comfortable with myself or idek but this makes it so I only would like it if someone called me gay does anyone understand what I am say and relate?

#1 alli o, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  2. wanderinggirl

Plenty of people don't like "lesbian". I prefer "gay". It feels less old-fashioned, more androgynous, and less of a stereotype maybe. I don't know. It just feels more broad and more accurate at the same time.

I feel like maybe I think of lesbian as a butch/femme thing, and predominantly for attraction to other women? And gay is more open, especially in terms of the gender identities of potential partners?

Plus "gay" is happy and I am happy being gay. "Lesbian" is just a mouthful.

The biggest difference for me, semantically, is that "lesbian" is a noun, whereas gay is an adjective, so since I'm a person outside of my sexuality, being "a lesbian" seems more constricting than being "gay".

Sometimes (amongst queer-friendly people to whom I'm out), I refer to myself as a homo. It's tongue-in-cheek though; it's not meant to be a serious identity. But it's fun because it's so old-fashioned.

Does this cover all the bases?

#2 wanderinggirl, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  3. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't like the word "Queer". It sounds derogatory and just outright offensive to me. I'm happy that the LGBT community decided to take the word and own it, though, but I'm not used to it.

4. Origamidragons

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't like queer either. It was and kind of still is an insult, and while I agree with Steve that it's good the community decided to take it over, it still doesn't sound good to me at all.

5. zigazigah

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I never like to be called queer, and it's really uncomfortable when other people decide to label me that or use it as an umbrella term.

6. foxconfessor

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is totally how I feel. It just feels so much better to say "I am _______" rather than "I am a ______" which feels like I'm othering myself from myself, if that makes sense.
    Not that gay doesn't get stuck in my throat, either. Queer feels so much easier but I understand why people both in and outside the LGBT community would be confused/offended by it.

7. ruby421

i am a lesbian..but i hate using that term as well but it is accurate :/ gay does seem to be a lot better though

8. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really had a very hard time with "queer". This was a horrible word to use towards someone when I was young. But now that I've seen the positive takeback of the word by the community I've quickly grown to like it.

#8 Zen fix, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  9. UniqueJourney

I'm fine with gay, lesbian, and queer. But I don't like dyke as much. And "homo" makes me cringe.

However, all of these terms can be used to both affirm and deride. It all depends on the person using the word.

#9 UniqueJourney, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  10. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer the term gay. It sounds simpler, softer and doesn't make me feel like some alien from another planet.