1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honestly I'm becoming neurotic about my sexuality label. Lol

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by orangevanilla, Oct 31, 2015.

1. orangevanilla

I don't know...i get nervous around girls, but recently I'm attracted to only guys. it really sucks because i wonder, will this feeling be fleeting? will i even be happy? I don't want to selfishly pursue something that won't last.

2. still ill

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I know how bad this is going to sound but without knowing you can't have a label and if it does change you have to accept it because its out of your control. Maybe the answer will become clearer with time, maybe it won't but all you can really do is go with the flow (I know, it sucks) and not deny any feelings you have.

3. cromulent

^ I would like to disagree. I think you can totally have a label without completely knowing. Think of it more as a theory, I guess. The way I arrived at a label for myself was I started "trying them on." I walked around for a day, a week, with "I am a bisexual" sort of ingrained in the back of my head. Another week, "I am pansexual." Another week, "I am queer." And, lastly, "I am a lesbian," which is what seemed to fit best.

Also, labels don't have to be completely comprehensive of every detail of your sexuality. Words are made for feelings; feelings are not made for words. While they do give you a sense of self and closure, I think they're most useful to simply describe your attractions to other people in a nutshell. Yes, I could say, "I'm a homoromantic demi-pansexual scoring 4.5 on the Kinsey scale and a D5 on the purple-red scale," but how many non-LGBTQ+ people are going to understand any of that past "homo-"? I'd just cut to the chase and say I'm gay!

And there are always going to be people who will say, "Aww, man, you don't need a label. Just love who you love and live your life carefree." That's cool for them, perhaps, but I understand your need to figure this out. I personally think it's more helpful to have a label than to not have one.

I hope this was helpful :slight_smile: