1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused straight (?) girl

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by wolfgirl98, Nov 1, 2015.

1. wolfgirl98

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    After years of thinking I was 100% straight, I've very recently become confused about my sexuality. I can't figure out if it's real or I'm overthinking it. I come from a very conservative, uber-homophobic household. My parents are terrible about LGBT tolerance. Ever since I can remember, I've been cool with it though. It just made sense to me. I always felt a connection with homosexuals, which I always thought was weird since I didn't identify as one.
    Growing up, being attracted to guys was just what you were supposed to do, so that's what I did. However, I've never had a serious relationship with a dude and haven't actually had sex before. I've been forced to lead a very sheltered life. A few months ago I discovered that I was actually attracted to a lesbian. Recently, I've become fed up with guys in general and dating another girl makes so much more sense to me. It just made me so confused, I've never felt that before. But what has me really confused is that at school, (a very small one in a conservative community, there's only one openly gay person there) I socialize with girls like normal. Maybe it's because I know they're all straight. All of my friends have boyfriends. On top of that, I still feel sorta attracted to guys, but it's weird. Masculinity never turned me on like it does other straight girls. But I have no wish to have a boyfriend now. Three months ago i did. I don't know if I'm overthinking and forcing something that isn't really me, or what. It's weird, I can't figure out what's really me or not.
    This probably sounds so stupid, like I'm this straight girl who wants to be something she's not. But I can't help feeling this way. Is anyone going through or gone through similar circumstances? I haven't talked to anyone about this and could use another person's insight. I have limited experience with all of this and don't know what I should or shouldn't be feeling, if that makes any sense.

2. caiteee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To me it sounds like you are at least bi, maybe lesbian but I don't know you so really can't make that call. Basically just figured i'd comment because I know I needed support when I was just figuring things out so figured i'd let ya know that i'm here :slight_smile: To be honest the only advice I have is just go with the flow, there is no rush, and no need for labels. If you want to and get the chance (which possibly won't be for a while considering how your fam is :/) give going out with a girl a go, or not if you don't want. It is entirely up to you.

3. Leviosa250

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm pretty much going through exactly the same thing...I don't really have any advice for you, but I hope we can be find some help on here and I thought I'd let you know that you're not the only one. :slight_smile:

4. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow I totally get you. I mean, my area/family is a lot more accepting... But I understand that place of not being sure. Masculinity doesn't do much for me either tbh. I only realized I could like girls too, when I realized that all of my guy crushes were... Potentially gay. I guess if I were you, I would experiment with both genders. Best of luck!

5. wolfgirl98

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks to you all for your advice and support! :slight_smile: It's funny how after only two days of joining this site, I've become so much more peaceful about the whole situation. I realize now there's no need for labels at this point. I think I'm ready to talk to my close (and tolerant) sister about it.

6. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You have time to figure it out, no rush. I wouldn't come out to anyone who you aren't sure will be supportive. At least until you are solid on your orientation.