1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if they ask my preference?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by sabrinaa, Nov 6, 2015.

1. sabrinaa

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I am still confused and questioning constantly am I lesbian? straight? bi? asexual?. My main reason for this is that I've never had a boyfriend or girlfriend and I just can't quite see anything clearly because of this. I suspect the real reason I can't decide without experience is because I might be bisexual, but I don't even know for sure and I don't want to label myself unless I know for sure.

MY QUESTION IS:
    What if someone questions you during the questioning phase? What do I do if someone asks me about my preference? I get so scared every time someone starts talking about boyfriends/girlfriends or anything LGBT at work or school. My heart starts racing, complete fear.

At my last job someone did ask me. She is a pretty blunt person, she is also a lesbian. She looked right at me near a bunch of people and just bluntly asked "are you a homo?" I was so shocked she would think that, I said "no" right away.

At my new job it's terrifying! I don't know what I would say if anyone ever asked me what I prefer! I do a good job of pretending I am just on my phone or doing something else if the conversation comes up, but what if a question is directed at me? I don't want to say I am questioning and then have everyone begin to ask me a million questions because they never knew this about me before.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? How do you get around it? What do you say? should I just lie? The problem is that I don't want to say I am straight, I don't want people thinking that because it's not 100% true, but I don't want anyone to think I am anything other than straight at the same time. It's complicated.

What is even worse is if I do say the truth then they might ask if I have ever been with anyone and then I would have to say that I have never been with a man or woman before and then it will be a shit storm of questions and gossip. They will think i'm a freak because I'm already in my mid twenties. The truth is that I just can't find the right guy that I feel comfortable enough to go out with and I have never been asked out by a girl so I have no clue about that. Also, I kind of enjoy being a single unit. I don't know how to be anything other than single.

2. Really

I think people who will actually ask are few and far between. You just happen to meet one and I suspect the odds of it happening again are pretty low.

Saying that though, if it does happen again, and since it's nobody's business, I would make up a non-answer answer you can live with.

"I prefer some Netflix and Chinese takeout."
    "If I had a nickel for every time someone asked me that..."
    "What you don't know won't hurt you."

And then change the subject and/or feel free to ignore any follow-up or repeated attempts to question you.

Silence is a perfectly acceptable response to indelicate questions.

3. Distant Echo

"I don't know. Are you free? I'm not paid til next week"

Yeah, ok, maybe not lol.

Nah, no ones business but your own.