1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For people questioning their sexuality:

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by cxx16, Nov 13, 2015.

1. cxx16

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi guys, I've been questioning my sexuality for months now (I'm 16) and I'd like to know how long some of you have been questioning for...

Also, I always wonder if since I've been questioning for a long time, that means that I'm actually a lesbian and just don't accept it.

Thank you and good luck everyone!

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Well I've been questioning for about a year now, maybe 2. Based on what I've experienced myself with questioning and what I've seen others on EC say, I think the time it takes you to question doesn't necessarily mean anything. I mean, if you're questioning for a while it's definitely more likely you're not straight, but it's really more dependent on how you really feel, which I know is hard to answer.
    I know it can get really frustrating and stressful sometimes not knowing and not being sure. But give it time and be patient with yourself. Don't let questioning consume you and try to focus on your other goals and things going on in your life, because thinking about it non-stop won't help you as much as just giving it time.
    If you continue to question for a while, that's okay. Everyone takes different amounts of time to come to a conclusion for different reasons. Maybe because you're having trouble accepting it, or perhaps because you're not sexually matured enough to really know/haven't had many crushes before. Or many other things too, so it really depends.
    I've often wondered about this, but lately things have become more clear, or at least I've stopped worrying about it so much and just trying to let myself feel what I feel. So my advice would be to try not to harp on it too much and the answers will probably come to you more freely in time.
    Good luck! I hope this helped.

3. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I questioned for a year, starting July 2014. In March, I was finally at peace with myself and here I am.

I was so stressed out with my life in general, and it was beginning to destroy my personal life. I could not function properly. Then I went to see a psychologist, and that's helped me a lot.

In retrospect, I was attracted to guys from a young age (12-13), but I had genuine attractions to women I thought I was straight. And people expected me to be straight since I was the only guy out of all my cousins. I didn't fit the stereotype, so I didn't think I would be gay.

Took me a long long time to figure it out, but now I'm more happy than I was before. This really does take time, I cannot stress that enough. Good luck!

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I seriously questioned my sexuality (as in actively thinking about it and trying to figure it out) for around a year and a half. Though inklings and thoughts about it drifted in and out of my consciousness for many years beforehand, I never actively decided to deal with the question of my orientation until later on. So really, the answer could either be a year and a half, or quite a few more.

Now after much confusion and distress for what felt like forever, I'm in a much better place. I can't say for sure what you might be, but of course it isn't impossible that you're a lesbian. However that is for you to see and figure out over this time period. Feel free to make another thread with more details if you might want some insight as well into things that might be confusing you, or about your sexuality, that is always an option.

Everyone takes a different amount of time questioning and figuring things out. Don't worry about the time, I promise you'll get there eventually. And you absolutely have EC for support either way.

#4 Alder, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  5. Really

I don't know if this will help you or not but, for me, it reinforced that I'm not straight.

I was watching this YouTube of two female friends. One gay, one straight. They were talking about how they each knew they were gay or straight. When the straight girl was talking, she said that she did ask herself once whether she'd like to kiss a girl but even as the question was forming in her head, she knew the answer was "no".

This told me that for straight people these questions aren't even questions. It's all pretty definitive for them.

6. el229

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    questioned for like two years, and now I'm pretty sure I'm gay