1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'gay' bars?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Secrets5, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Are gay bars strictly for male homosexuals, or do they include [people they assume to be*] female homosexuals?

* Is there a rule on agender of female sex going /not/ into these bars?

Thank-you.

2. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From my experience. it's for Gay males, but a some heterosexual females(fag hags) like to go there too. There are bars especially for Lesbians.

3. Lyana

Hey,

Straight and bi people can go to "gay" bars. There is certainly no rule barring gay women from entering, or agender people (or people of any gender). However, your experience there will depend on the bar. Some cater more to gay men and are rather male-dominated, others are specifically for women, others are more "gay-friendly" than truly gay and have more diversity.

I'm neither gay nor a man, but I've been to "gay" bars and clubs. If you're concerned, look up a specific bar you're considering on the Internet.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The bars I've been to were largely frequented by gay men (as were many of their staff), but all sorts go: cis, trans, gay, straight, male, female... then again, I usually go when a friend invites me to drag shows, so that could have a huge effect on results, too!

It does largely depend on the bar, though. I think "gay" usually means "male homosexual" in many people's minds. A lot of bars these days are mixed, or have special nights dedicated to LGBT events, or for those within the acronym, ie lesbian night.

5. Really

Your money is as good as anyone else's. It's only up to you whether you want to go there and then if you like it enough to go again.

6. setnyx

i've been to a few & they seem to be a mixture of both but mostly gay men. unfortunately there was also several straight people there for the floor show as i overheard a group laughing about it.

7. crazydiamond

In the "gay town" I go to, all the bars are totally open to all kinds of people. I mean, yeah, it's mostly men. But I see straight girls, lesbians, transgender people, and even crossdressers (And I mean cisgender heterosexual men that dress like women) all the time. There is usually a Ladies' Night once a week, and on that day you'll see more women than usual. No one ever gives me or my girlfriend weird looks when we go to the gay bar. It's just a place where people in the LGBT+ community and their allies can go without being judged.

#7 crazydiamond, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  8. sally38

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have been to gay bars dressed as a women had fun

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I hate to think any gay bars would reject anyone for being non-binary. Other AFABs there will likely assume that you're female, I'm guessing.

10. questions1

Speaking from my experience in Boystown (The LGBT area of Chicago), You get absolutely everybody there. Money is money. You'll most likely see more guys than girls, but everybody is there to have fun. One of the bars (it was a dance bar) that I went to, there were more males than females, but it didn't stop me and my friends from having a fun night! My friend group was one guy, and four of us girls. All of us found somebody to talk to/dance with.