1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it okay to use "queer" as an orientation? :/

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by obsequious, Dec 2, 2015.

1. obsequious

obsequious Guest

Just asking if it's alright to use the term "queer" as an orientation? Is it offensive at all?

I got some help in another thread saying that it might be most suitable to what I described, but just wanted to make sure.

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You totally can. It's a good word to show that you're not straight if you don't want to be more specific for any reason (e.g. you don't know yet, you don't find that other labels fit you, etc.). It is a slur and although you have every right to reclaim it, you should be considerate to those who don't like to hear it and if someone specifically asks you not to use it around them, don't use it, even to describe yourself. But in general, it's completely fine.

3. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a personal decision. If you want to identify as queer, that's perfectly alright. It's your identity.

Personally, I'm split on my feelings about the word. It doesn't bother me, I just see it as another identifying term. But this is coming from a 14 year old white person who lives in a decent area in the world. In many places, it is still used as a harmful insult towards LGBT+ people. I think that that is something to take into consideration while thinking about the word.

#3 DreamerBoy17, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  4. obsequious

obsequious Guest

Very good point. Honestly, I'd rather not offend anyone. I might just go with gay.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are some people that are bothered by the word still, but if it is what fits you the best then don't let them bother you.

6. obsequious

obsequious Guest

Settling for bi, haha :lol: Really don't want to use a word others feel uncomfortable with, even if it's only a small portion of the LGBT community. And if I use gay people will probably assume I'm only attracted to one gender. Although, I do think it's awesome that the word is being reclaimed!

Thanks for your thoughts and enlightening me guys :icon_bigg