1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me DTR this lol

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by IrishBuddha6, Dec 2, 2015.

1. IrishBuddha6

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So as you can probs see, I'm a male that is currently a college student at a small NY college. Anywho, I have known my best friend since second semester of college, probably close to three years now or so and she has been really supportive during this entire process toward me.

To back track a bit, I started questioning a year ago or maybe a little more (even though there were signs of me not being straight way before the but I was in denial). But she was the first person I told and to my surprise, she was extremely supportive. It was a little surprising because just a few months before I told her, she told me she liked me and I had to turn her down and I thought we wouldnt be friends anymore but now were like best friends and for the past three year, everything has been great.

Heres where it gets a little tricky. Recently, I have been accepting that I feel that at this point, I am gay (or mostly gay) and she knows that (and her mom accidentally found out....long story). Just a few other close people know and besides that, I am in the closet to my family and the world. Now, I came to this conclusion after some pretty careful consideration. I did have one female crush when I was in middle school/early high school which is somewhat complicated, but I think there are a few reasons for it. I did certainly find this person attractive and liked personality, I'm not exactly sure how sexually attracted I was at the time as those things didn't really kick in till later on in high school anyway. Moreover, I had little understanding of the gay/queer community. Heck I didn't actually meet a gay guy until I entered college!!

I came to this conclusion because I really wanted a girlfriend at the beginning of my college career, but it was almost exclusively for superficial reasons looking back on it (family, social image). Moreover, the females I had crushes on, while I found them attractive, I don't actually think I was very attracted to any of them. I also don't generally/naturally find women sexually attractive. I mean sometimes I do, or if if I really get myself to think about it, I do. But these thoughts don't come naturally if that makes any sense. Almost all of the fantasies (~90ish%), "crushes if you will," and thoughts while doing...things, are usually about men, I find them to be more sexually appealing for whatever reason and find myself generally more attracted to their bodies while only occasionally feeling some attraction towards women, but I really have to think about it if that makes any sense, like I feel like its not as natural. Its weird because I never really imagined myself having the possibility of being romantically attracted to men for a while even in middle school and high school when I was certainly physically attracted to them but I do feel that given the right man, I could have a solid relationship with him. I struggled with questioning because I thought that maybe I could pull off a relationship with a women which would be socially easier. and here is kinda where I have an issue

So as I said, my friendship with my best friend is platonic. However, she is very touchy and since coming out to her, she has become even more touchy. Like, we cuddle sometimes, we hug more, she even kisses me on the cheek. For a while I thought it was kind of odd but it didn't bother me but recently its been putting me off because I'm not sure if I am developing some sort of attraction to her. It an odd kind of attraction, because its not really sexual, at least I don't think it is. And I only feel this kind of attraction when we are having this kind of "intimacy" for lack of a more appropriate word or when I think about it. I love her as a friend and her personality is awesome and if I was straight, I would probably go for her to be honest. But lately, I have been wondering if my answer is right in front of me, if we are actually meant to be, or if I have some odd platonic attraction to her and that's it. Sometimes, i do have some sort of arousal while were cuddling or she hugs me and I cant pinpoint why...like if its her, or the feeling of physical touch, or if its just random or some groinal response or something. thinking about it, I don't feel much desire to have a sexual relationship with her but sometimes when I am in the moment with hugging her, I do sometimes have this odd push as to whether I should kiss her, but I don't and I don't think I would enjoy it but its become harder to tell. I don't usually feel anything when she kisses me but I feel like I'm overthinking some things and its becoming harder to tell. When I'm not with her or when were in an ordinary setting, I almost never feel this way though and see us as just friends. However, I do feel a little possessive sometimes when she talks about other guys shes dates and I'm not sure if that me being protective or jealous or maybe just a combination of both but i do want her to be happy ultimately and find someone that will treat her right.

Also, defining priority in a relationship has become tough. She has raised good points like...sexual attraction actually not that important at all in a relationship and men usually lose their sex drive before 30, and she has also said that she want a husband children the white picket fence but that shes mostly asexual and just wants to do things like cuddle but still have somewhat of a sexual relationship just to have children....

Is she right? Like IDK, she also said something like its easy to make a relationship all about sex if you get with someone your too sexually attracted with and the relationship will fall apart romantically and that you need to find someone that your compatible with and want to grow old with....Ugh lol, its so strange there are so many factors and sexuality is of course very complicated...I would appreciate any and all advice or answer to this lol, thank you!!!!

2. guitar

Message me on my wall and we can talk. You sound a lot like me a few years ago.

3. IrishBuddha6

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I should also mention I feel a little trapped here, like its one thing for her to know and laugh about if I end up having to "come out again" and end up in a relationship with her, but since her mom seems to know about this, I feel like it would just be weird if that happened and probably not possible without a lot of awkward embarrassment....ugh, I just hope I haven't dug myself in a hole!!!

4. suchconfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    TBH i feel like you're me right now or a year ago. You could maybe like females in some small way, but I think it might just be internalized hetero-normativity, like you spent most of the beginning of your life thinking you were straight because "everyone else is" so you mustered up something you could call attraction and went off of that and you feel slivers of that now. You also said, you really love her and she's your best friend, so maybe your affection to her just pushes platonic because of the past you've had with her of non mutual attraction. I have not really had experiences like yours, so I'm not sure, so maybe you're just not completely homo-sexual/homo-romantic. But definitely don't push away what you feel because you fear having to come out again or being back in that even more confused state. While understandable, you shouldn't ever have to feel obligated not to go outside your perceived sexual orientation because it'll be hard to make other people understand you without thinking what you don't want them to think. It'll happen inevitably and we just gotta not feel limited by it. Really think about how you feel and evaluate it. Good luck man. Message me if you wanna talk :>

#4 suchconfusion, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2015
  5. middleGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All of the above... However, as a gay man who is married and separated and who is read so many threads by other married gay members I have to gently point out that her comments about a sexless relationship working set of alarm bells in my head. Although this arrangement works for some, IMO it does not work for most.

I agree you shouldn't condem how you feel and you should let yourself feel what you feel especially since you are still figuring out your sexuality. However, it's also a good idea to think about exploring others as well. Go on a few dates with guys for example. You are potentially vulnerable right now and it's so tempting to follow the heteronormative standard, the allure is strong...

6. IrishBuddha6

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks so much for your help. It's weird because usually I see our relationship as purely a friendship, like I don't get butterflies or anything and she's pretty but I don't feel sexually attracted to her on any way. However, if we cuddling or something, sometimes she'll kiss me or something and it'll feel fine or whatever but I don't know, sometimes I feel like it would feel nice to kiss her on the lips. Like I kissed her on the face (cheek) and felt nothing from it, just a close friendship (she's been through a lot lately with family so the affection helps her feel better). It's weird because while I'll feel this odd desire to kiss her on the lips or feel her face, I also feel very frustrated about this and somewhat irritated. I'm not sure if this would be considered an "intrusive thought" or if it's fear of having to come out again and take back what I said or a combo of both, it's hard to tell. I guess I can say that I don't really have a sexual attraction to her but occasionally I have that weird romantic attraction and I'm not sure if that means we're meant to be, because it would be a mixture of the perfect story for my family and hers to be proud of but also embarrassment and some irritation, like, I don't really get it.

7. QBear

The best way to get over the thought of kissing her is to try kissing her and see how it feels. Lol

That said, I think what's going on here is that your friend is still in love with you and trying to convince you to ignore your sexuality to be with her.
    I REALLY recommend against it.

It is clear to me from everything that you've said that you are pretty darn gay. What she is asking you to do is to cut off your most natural instincts to be with her. That is completely unfair to you.

You need to get out there and meet some gay fellows and date them. See how the sex feels (but please practice safer sex!!)

The only way I could see it possibly working as more than friends with your friend (assuming you are capable of ANY sexual feelings for her) is if you two had a poly relationship where she's okay with you fucking as many dudes as you like. Not bloody likely, if you ask me.

8. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes, it does seem like your friend is still in love with you and that she is having you entertain the idea of being in a relationship with her. There is a possibility that maybe your sexuality is more fluid than you think. There are cases where gay men end up being in a relationship with women in a genuine way. However, it could also be the case that your urge to kiss her is simply your internalised heteronormativity manifesting itself.

I think it's best that you meet other gay and bisexual men for friendships and relationships and see how that feels. You could also try kissing your friend and see how that feels to get more information, but I wouldn't really recommend that, as it will complicate things!

9. Mickey 29

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've definitely been in this situation (still kind of am). I came out to a girl who liked me, and we actually ended up in a very awkward relationship for a few months, where I had to consistently come out to her. She flat-out didn't believe me (to be fair, I wasn't "acting" very gay with her to say the least). She even said similar things, and said she wanted a relationship even if I was gay. It was very difficult though, finally coming to terms with your sexuality, getting over internalized homophobia, and then having a woman tell you she wanted to be with you either way. Luckily, we have sorted things out and are great friends now. There's still a little 'kinks' to work out, but overall it's going really well for both of us.