1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i know if i'm a lesbian if i haven't even kissed a girl or a guy?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Elise, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Elise

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    i'm 18 and I've been questioning my sexuality for the past 3 years, i don't know if i'm gay or not and its really frustrating, will i know when i kiss someone? i mean i know i'm attracted to girls i just don't know if i'm attracted to guys. i'm just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how i could figure it out with out having to kiss someone.:slight_smile:

2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people know without being with anyone, while others (like myself) needed to experience it first hand to confirm it. Everyone is different, just take your time.

3. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The way I see it, if you were attracted to guys you'd know it, the same way like you know you're attracted to girls.

4. ANerdWhoCares

You could very easily ask the same question to straight people; "have you ever been in a relationship with the opposite sex? No? Then how do you know its your preference?" People just know. For me it was easy, guys around me would be like "check out her tits" or "dat ass tho," and id be thinking "why? Whats so special?" Then id catch myself checking out dudes in the locker room before gym, and there you go. You just know it.

5. QBear

Jax12 said it very well. Some people just know, and some people need to experiment.

That said, what would be wrong with doing a little confirmation kissing?

Also, if you are sure you like girls, then you are at the very least "not straight", aka some flavor of queer. So, no matter what, you'll need to accept and eventually come out about that any way you slice it. No need to hope that you like guys so you can pretend to be straight.

My advice would be to try dating women as soon as you feel comfortable doing it, and leave the men a question mark. Maybe some day you'll meet a guy that really turns you on enough that you'll want to try having sex with him. Maybe you won't, and that's okay.

I hope this helps.

6. Mistborn

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I feel exactly like you, I have been questioning my own sexuality for maybe 1 and a half year and I feel like I'm attracted to girls but have never been with someone, girl or boy.

7. vinylcountdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anerdwhocares Has an awesome point.

How do straight people know they are straight before they have a relationship? They just know and so do most gay people, some definitely need some experience to reaffirm how they already felt. My parents for a long time were dead set on the idea that if I kissed a girl Id immediately be straight, but I already knew how I felt so I didn't need to experiment with girls to know I was gay.

8. Ryuji35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is so true. Sexual Orientation is not wired sexually. For me, the best indicator is that I am emotionally more attracted to men. For women, it only reached only on friendship level and i have seen a lot of female when I was a teenager naked and it didn't give me the boner I always have when I saw men naked hahahaha!

9. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I'm pretty similar right now I'd say, although I have had some experience with a girl. So like you, I know I'm not straight. Thing is, I had my label on here set to questioning for a while and when I really thought about it, I do know that I'm not straight and when I said that in my head the first time it felt kind of uncomfortable. Like I knew it was true, but it still scared me a bit, even though I liked being into girls because it felt right and being into guys thusfar didn't seem like something I wanted anyway. So just try to be comfortable with and thankful for what you know about yourself already.

But anyway, I think just like other posters said. Go on what you know. If you like a girl and want to date her go for it. You can't make yourself like a guy right away by deciding you may like guys anyway. Regardless of that, it'll just happen when and if it happens as long as you try to stay open to what you're feeling, which you've been doing already:slight_smile:

I guess one way to know would be if you look at certain guys and think "oo he's cute" or when you're around a lot of people if your eyes get drawn to guys. But don't overthink it too much because that'll make it harder and more stressful which you don't need because what happens happens and you'll feel what you feel when you're ready to feel it (or not feel it).

Also remember, attraction towards one gender doesn't automatically disprove attraction toward other genders. I know that's kind of a given but sometimes when you're agonizing over it in your head it can be easy to think that way without realizing it because you want to get to an answer quickly. But also remember, you don't need a label to define yourself either because there are so many other things about yourself so don't agonize over this too much. Just go with what feels right and don't try to see what other things could feel right.

Best of luck!