1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Sapphirexxx, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Sapphirexxx

Hi everyone. New to the forum; just wanted to share my story and gather some thoughts.

So for as long as I can remember, I knew there was something different about me. I had a crush on a couple of female teachers growing up at school (I'm 23 yo female btw), and always obsessed over female celebrities far easier than I ever did with male ones. Admittedly (with the celebrities), a lot of it was an element of admiration (i.e: I would find myself trying to emulate the way they dressed, spoke etc), which just adds to the confusion.

When I was in year 8, I became obsessed with a male teacher. I thought about him every day, craved his attention, and just generally fancied him. However, he was the only man throughout my high school years that I ever had any 'sexual' interest in (I didn't have a crush on any guys, or girls, in my school at all- for some reason it was only ever teachers).

I clung onto the fact that I was 'In love' with this male teacher, and so I 'absolutely couldn't be a lesbian', when in fact I think deep down I couldn't ignore the fact that I did feel some attraction to females (mainly celebrities and older/teacher figures). This naturally caused a LOT of inner turmoil... I did not want to be a lesbian (nothing wrong with it; I fully support it but it's just something I couldn't face), and I was terrified of family/friends reaction (I am incredibly feminine and girly, and so it would be an absolute shock to everyone).

Fast forward to my uni years, and I found myself totally ignoring any relationship/sexuality element of my life. I hung around with a group of very religious girls and threw myself into studies, telling myself I would deal with my feelings/sexuality at a later point. However, I started working part time at a place and found that I instantly had feelings for my female manager. It started off as a 'I want to impress you because you're my boss' type of thing, but then I realised it was definitely a crush. I think part of my reason for falling for her was because she looked and dressed like your stereotypical lesbian, and so I think I subconsciously took note of her and started developing feelings for her. We went on nights out, had drinks together and flirted a lot, but it turned out she was 'straight'; something which to be honest, i don't fully believe (or maybe she is but just because I fancied her I was in denial). Anyway! My point being that whilst I was still having this inner battle with myself, I was finally coming to accept my sexuality. Yes I knew it would be terrifying coming out, but just being around her made me so happy that I was concentrating on that more than my fears.

Fast forward again to a couple of years ago: more confusion. I started texting a guy (who also worked with me). He was older, very very masculine, and very charismatic. I always found him good looking but there was never any interest (due to him being a renowned womaniser, and my sexuality struggles ). However, he told me he fancied me, I freaked out at first (due to aforementioned reasons) and told him I wasn't interested. But on nights out when I got drunk, I found myself craving his attention, drunk calling and texting him. This went on for about 7 months until I finally caved and realised I fancied him. We got together, and i lost my virginity to him. I went from someone who was terrified by the thought of sex with a man, to genuinely loving it. I never thought I would find a man who I loved unconditionally, inside and out, who I connect with emotionally, and find sexually attractive. Unfortunately, after 2.5 years together, he ended it a couple of months ago. I'm devastated. But what's worse is that my sexuality confusion has been brought up again- after this relationship, I see myself and want to be with a man, but I'm terrified that I will never love another man in the same way. At the same time, I can't deny the feelings I've had for women in the past/growing up.

I guess what I'm asking is whether there are any other women (or men) out there who have identified as lesbian/gay, but then fallen in love with someone of the opposite sex. And when I mean in love, I mean in love (I often read many women saying they love their boyfriends emotionally, but sex repulses them/they were indifferent - this wasn't the case for me, I loved and got very turned on when I had sex with him)

Help! Very confused. I would appreciate any input- thanks for reading :slight_smile: xx