1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between physical and sexual attraction?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by RyeTheDauphin, Dec 7, 2015.

1. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Asking this purely out of curiosity. I've seen these terms used separately on this site a few times and I'm a bit confused about what the difference is. Surely if you find a person physically attractive there is some overlap between finding them potentially sexually pleasing? Also are there labels to do with physical attraction?

I'm not sure. What is the difference? I also want to know because it may help me figure out a sexual identity that fits me so I'd appreciate some clarification. Thanks! :slight_smile:

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Physical attraction is finding a person attractive, like their body and how they look for example finding someone cute or pretty. Sexual attraction is, to me always meant finding someone well, sexual attractive like physical attraction to the point where you would want to have sex with them. These can overlap but not always for example, I can find women physical attractive like appreciate how they look and compliment them but I don't find them sexually attractive. I am not sure if there are labels having to do with physical attraction, I hope that I have been of some help to you.

3. dreamer2891

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Physical attraction is where you are attracted to someone i.e. their face/body, and have romanic and intimate feelings, you may want to kiss them, hug them, hold hands and even be naked etc with them but you might not want actual genital sex with them!

sexual attraction is where you do want sex with them.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always used them interchangeably, but maybe I'm wrong. I use them both to describe the feeling of being attracted to someone in a way that makes you want to make out with them, etc. Even if you were to define it in a stronger way, sexual attraction would still be the desire for sexual contact, not necessarily whether or not you genuinely want to sleep with them, given that there are many factors that go into that decision (I, for example, don't really want to sleep with anyone because of my gender dysphoria, but I still experience sexual attraction; I just don't want to fully act on it).

Regardless, I don't think separate labels for orientation in regards to sexual and physical attraction are useful even if you do define them as separate things. In the vast majority of cases, the genders you find significantly physically attractive will be the same genders you find sexually attractive. In the rare case that they don't overlap, choose which one is more important to you and label your orientation accordingly. There is a point at which labels become too detailed to be useful, and distinguishing between exactly who you are physically attracted to vs. who you want to sleep with is past that point.