1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do people go through phases?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by RyeTheDauphin, Dec 8, 2015.

1. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The phrase 'just a phase' is often seen as really derogatory and offensive for people in the LGBT+ community, and don't get me wrong, I can see why. It invalidates people's genuine feelings and emotions and distills them into something that will pass rather than a lifelong aspect of our biology.

But do people actually go through 'phases'? Sexuality can be fluid and if there are people who don't discover that they are gay until later in life, can this work the other way around? This could be more common amongst women because female friendships tend to be physically and emotionally closer compared to guy friendships, so is it possible to mistake strong friendly feelings for crushes or love? Also, since sexuality is still developing in adolescence is it possible to have homosexual feelings that fade within a few years or something?

I've always been worried about this since I haven't 'always known' I was queer and am trying to come to terms with it, but I can't help wondering if I've got it wrong and if this is in fact 'just a phase'. Any thoughts? Is it possible to go through phases and if so, how do you know for sure what you are in terms of sexuality?

2. Alster14

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know how you feel. I've felt that way before and i couldn't get over the feeling that it could just be a phase. There is no way for me to tell, but you can find out. The best thing I can say is that you should just go with the flow.

I feel you. (&&&)

3. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that there is a fluidity to sexuality and it varies for each person. What to do about it is a much more complicated question and would depend a lot on your current relationships.

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that if it's fluid ... then the fluidity is biological. I don't have any hard evidence to back it up but the people who believe 'it's just a phase' believe it strongly, and those believe 'it's fixed' believe it strongly ... so if both believe it strongly then it might be different biology to those different individuals.

#4 Secrets5, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  5. Winter Linn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think assuming someone else is going through a "phase" is quite a derogatory thing..

But I'd say they do definitely exist. I myself originally thought I was gay, then I switched to being bisexual for a few years, and somewhat recently I'd say I consider myself gay again. As you guys say, it's all very fluid.

:smilewave

6. CapColors

I have this same question and concern. I mean, what IS the difference between "a phase" and "fluid"? Semantics, as far as I can tell. One gets people mad and one gets a pass but they COULD mean the same thing.

I tend to think that if a person's sexuality shifts through life that person is some flavor of bisexual overall but they may chose to identify as straight or gay or something else instead.

I don't know if people are born "fluid" or "static" as Secrets5 suggests but it's an interesting hypothesis.