1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - I think someone may have guessed I'm queer

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by RyeTheDauphin, Dec 11, 2015.

1. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Today I had a pretty nerve-wracking experience, and it's freaking me out and I don't know what to do.

I take drama at school, and there's a girl in my class who I get along with well, but ever since I started being attracted to girls I feel like she can sense it somehow. She seems especially tactile towards me and will randomly do things like singing love songs and directing them at me, or holding hands with me and hugging me for the slightest reason. I'm pretty sure she's straight since all her friends are and I think she may have dated guys before (but I'm not entirely sure), so I don't think she's flirting or anything. Plus she dragged me into a conversation one time and said that she knows that I don't like to be touched (and I don't - I feel super awkward about close physical contact with girls because gayness), then proceeded to hug me multiple times to demonstrate some story or other she was telling to her friends.

We are acquaintances, not close friends - I don't think the level of physical and emotional contact she's been giving me for the past couple of years that we've been in the same class is normal.

From what I've heard from a couple of other people, it seems that she can be very good at making people feel uncomfortable or inferior and using their emotional weaknesses against them to do that, so I thought that maybe she could sense that I'm attracted to girls because of my awkwardness around them and is exploiting that. I brushed off those thoughts and dismissed them as paranoia after a while and tried to ignore it until today.

During the drama lesson we watched a couple of people in the class do some scenes from a play, both centering around one character being outed/blackmailed by the threat of being outed as gay. They were really good scenes and I felt really moved after watching them, especially when my teacher was giving acting notes and explaining the shame some gay people feel if they aren't accepted. I've always been terrified of being outed against my will or being judged or harassed if anyone finds out and for a while it felt like I could barely move since I was so melancholy. I think it showed as well because it felt like my face was really somber and I couldn't hide it.

A few minutes later I was standing next to the girl I mentioned earlier and she randomly locked her hand into mine just a little, but then a few seconds later she started laughing at me because I held her hand a little tighter without realizing it. I ended up getting really defensive and saying she started it but she kept saying I did and I wasn't sure who was right. Then a few seconds later, she told me she loved me and smiled at me in a slightly fake manner. All I could do was fake a half-smile and do my best to ignore her, but I was so sure that she knew and so scared of what she'd do. I couldn't stop worrying about it for the rest of the day.

What do you guys think? Am I being paranoid or is she actually picking up on something? What can I do to sort this out and how can I hide my not-entirely-straight-ness in the future? :help:

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading and any advice is much appreciated. (*hug*)

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Is there a teacher you can speak to? Because I'm pretty sure that anyone touching you when you don't want to be touched is not allowed.

3. omgwhatishappen

Unless I am mistaken, you don't actually define what level/year/age you are in at "school." Although not a necessity, it may be helpful for others to know exactly what age your peers are.

I am currently 27 years old, and look back at my junior high and high school years (age 12-18) with a lot of regret. I acted immaturely, and end up doing a lot of things that were completely inappropriate, hurtful, and outright disrespectful. As someone who actively fought against my own feelings, I would hurt others who openly expressed themselves. So, maybe this person you are dealing with doesn't really know what is going on with them either? Maybe they are scared too? Maybe they don't even know that they are scared... That ended up being my experience.

Therefore, you may be dealing with someone who doesn't actually know what is really going inside of them. Naturally, this is just my opinion, and is only one option out of an infinite number of possibilities.

Still -- I would suggest that your ultimate responsibility is to take care of yourself. If this woman makes you uncomfortable, puts you in compromising situations, and otherwise takes advantage of you - then I would urge that you take the necessary steps to ensure your own well being. Remember, you are a BEAUTIFUL living being of this world, and deserve to be treated with love and respect.

The "school" years are usually a tricky, confusing, and uncomfrtable period of life (for everyone), so make sure that you prioritize your own serenity.

I hope someone else will be able to relate to your story, and be able to provide a more similar experience than my own.

Wishing you the best,
    Trevor