1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hetero/homoflexible vs Bisexuality

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by lastking, Dec 12, 2015.

1. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What exactly is the difference between hetero/homoflexible and bisexuality? From what I've heard, bisexuality doesn't mean you're necessarily equally attracted to both sexes, it could be 20% to male, 80% to female. However, if you're attracted about 20% to a certain sex wouldn't that make you hetero/homoflexible?

2. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think they're the same, it just depends on what you want to label yourself. Like, if someone usually likes the opposite sex, but doesn't want to rule out the same sex because of either open mindedness, curiosity, or past experiences, then they'd be heteroflexible. But it'd be fine for that person to ID as bisexual too. Maybe bisexual people have just experienced more attraction or feel more sure than flexible people.

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heteroflexible tends to imply a straight person with just a couple of exceptions, while bisexual implies more significant attraction to the same gender. Still, bi definitely doesn't mean even split between genders, and bi people can definitely have preferences, so there isn't really a distinct line between heteroflexible and bisexual with a strong preference. It's up to the person using the label to decide whether they think their attraction to people of the same gender is significant enough to warrant IDing as bisexual or if they think of it as just a couple exceptions, and they're mostly straight.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always seen -flexible as a subcategory of bisexuality, or at the very least, a related term. It's more common for those who have stronger attractions towards one side, sort of like, "Gay/straight, with exceptions".

A friend brought it up while I was questioning, but no, I'm definitely bisexual through and through. Of course, people's experiences and definitions will vary, and it's up to you to decide what you're most comfortable with.

5. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Overall, that makes sense - that it's up to the person on how they want to identify as. I've always wondered if I'm homoflexible (strongly attracted to same sex with some exceptions towards the opposite sex) or if I'm bisexual. I guess it depends on how much I feel my attraction to women is important when it comes to how I choose to identify.

6. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Herero/homoflexible are essentially subsets of bisexuality. I identify as homoflexible (or out as gay) because relationship wise, I can only see myself with guys. Sexually, I always have interest in guys, but for girls it's on and off. Just depends on my mood, really. My boyfriend is Kinsey 6, and he has no doubt about being gay and knew since day 1.