1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal to not realizing sooner??

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by thatchickcj, Dec 17, 2015.

1. thatchickcj

So. I've recently come out to myself, and I've started getting these mini flashbacks to when I was younger over things that could have been interpreted as signs that I was gay/lesbian. I was wondering if anyone else had ever gone through this before.

2. silent symphony

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, I feel exactly like that! I discovered myself about a month ago, and the first few days, I kept remembering small little things I thought were just personality quirks that I feel like I should have seen as puzzle pieces. Individually, each can be seen as a simple quirk, but together, they paint that picture.

3. treasure1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes, I am in the same boat. I remember the strangest of things like kissing my best friend at a very young age who was a girl and this is the weirdest thing I remember, well my brother is gay aswell and I remember being like 10 years old watching a talent show and these two siblings came on - both who were gay and I remember my mum making a comment sarcastically saying "Lucky parents..."
    So not only do I remember moments I had with girls but I remember nearly every homophobic remark made by my parents or close friends which I subconsciously must of been hurt by before even realising I was gay which seems absurd to me.
    So yeah I guess it happens to everyone

4. guitar

I didn't figure it out until my mid-20s so at 17 you're by no means a late bloomer. Hindsight is 20/20. There a lot of things I think back on and wonder "how could you not have known you were gay?!"

If we knew everything about ourselves, we wouldn't need therapists. There are things in yourself that can take you a lifetime to figure out that others can see 20 seconds after meeting you. Your biggest blindspot is often yourself.

5. alli o

alli o Guest

almost everyone goes through this always look back like how couldn't I of known?!

6. MetalRice

Everyone goes through it

7. Vav

Vav Guest

There was never one moment when I realized my sexuality. In a way I still don't understand it. I did wonder if I was gay when I was ten, but I didn't really think about it until I was twelve. I finally accepted the possibility of being gay when I was fourteen. When I tried to come out people's reactions kept confusing me. Mainly because they kept asking me if I was actually attracted to girls. I didn't know it was valid to say I'm not super attracted to girls and I have little to no attraction to boys. Shortly after that I discovered asexuality, but I didn't accept the possibility of being asexual until pretty recently.

8. NotKnowing

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Haha, yeaah, I feel the same thing about being trans.
    When I think about me walking around town dressed like a boy & acting like a boy (My best friend & I met up with a guy and I was supposed to be her bf) and absolutely loving it, I'm just like :dry: it couldn't have been more obvious

9. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I feel the same. I never developed any crushes until much later than usual (and convinced myself that being friends with a guy was the same as being madly in love with them...:bang:slight_smile:, I was always a huge tomboy when I was younger and even though I didn't think at the time that I was a part of it, I always felt a strange kinship and connection with the gay community whenever I heard about it or researched it.

I felt bad for a long time because I hadn't always known and it didn't always seem to be a part of me, but that's okay because different people develop and grow differently and we won't know everything about ourselves all the time. It's pretty normal to look back on your life in that way, and it's perfectly fine to have not 'always known' about it.

10. thatchickcj

I mean it all makes sense. How could you build a puzzle without knowing what the picture is supposed to look like? Otherwise, you just gotta bunch of random pieces you don't know what to do with.

It's SOO weird because I don't even remember most of these things. It's SOO crazy. I spent two years questioning my sexuality and seventeen juggling puzzle pieces I didn't know existed.