1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your favorite way to measure your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Vav, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Vav

Vav Guest

Do you prefer to use:
    * traditional orientation labels(gay, straight, bi)
    * newer labels(pansexual, queer, fluid, asexual)
    * non-specific labels (queer, not straight, no label at all)
    * percentages that add up to 100(40% straight 60% gay)
    * percentages that don't add up to 100 (90% straight 30% gay)
    * seperate romantic and sexual orientations(biromatic asexual)
    * something else

I prefer to use percentages that don't have to add up to 100. They just make the most sense to me. Mainly because I'm not super crazy about girls and I have little to no interest in guys. If I were to be labelled with another system I could be called bi, asexual, gay or gay leaning bi. None of those labels feel that right.

My favorite label out of those is gay. It feels kind of nice, but I'm scared I still have some feelings for guys. They're pretty vague and I don't really want to be with guys, so I just like to say I'm 1% into them.

Since most people might not understand percentages I simplify things by using labels that are non-specific. That could include queer, not straight, non traditional, not attracted to much people and anything else that I think of. It varies a lot depending on the situation. If I'm talking to queer people I'll call myself queer, if I'm talking to more conservative people I'll say I'm not into sex much.

I also don't like to seperate my sexual and romantic orientation. I understand it's very helpful for some people, it just doesn't make sense when I'm talking about my own feelings. Since I'm pretty isolated it doesn't make sense classifying my romantic orientation.

2. MetalRice

I just label myself bisexual because that is what I consider myself to be.

3. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I label myself as queer, but if anyone asked me to be more specific I'd use a percentage. What that percentage is will probably change depending on the circumstances.

4. Vav

Vav Guest

What type of percentages would you typically use?

5. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I use bisexual just because it acknowledges my attraction for men and women but frees me up a bit from my crazy over-analysing mind that would get way too worked up about percentages and splitting different types of attraction. Whenever I think too much about this stuff I can just be like "I like both, it doesn't matter to what degree or in what way - I'm bi and that's fine and that is all the identity I need". And its a term you can use with most people without having to explain your deepest feelings to them.

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Reality is my favorite way to measure it.
    I just call myself bi and keep an open mind.

7. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I like the way you do it, it actually does make so much sense! I use bisexual because, well at first I didn't feel like any label fitted me, but then I wanted to use bisexual as a term for if other people ask me what my sexuality is. Before I used bisexual I actually had fun just saying "I don't know" and confusing those around me, but when I started college people had a problem with that and it was just easier to adopt a simpler label for those people, but then I got into the habit of thinking of myself as bisexual.

8. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use bisexual, sometimes queer. Percentages don't quite work for me, mostly because I'm not sure what percentage I would give to nonbinary people. If it were just men/women it would be easier :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And classifying myself as a certain percent straight and a certain percent gay isn't how I see my orientation. I'm not at all straight. I'm 100% bisexual.

I used to call myself biromantic heterosexual but I'm not sure it fits anymore, and regardless, it's too much of a hassle and I don't particularly care about the distinction. People don't care who I'm sleep with; they want to know who I'm going to date. I'm going to date people of pretty much any gender, so the heterosexual part isn't important (if it's even accurate).

9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually just say that I'm mostly into women. That way, I don't have to come up with a label that is in relation to my own gender: I can just say who I'm attracted to.

10. Magenta Mucus

Separated labels, Biromantic Homosexual

11. Vav

Vav Guest

I used to prefer the label bisexual as well. I didn't like percentages because I thought they had to add up to 100 and I felt like my attraction constantly fluctuated. I started to not like identifying as bisexual because I don't have a strong attraction to men. People seemed to expect me to be boy crazy for whatever reason. It was very invalidating. It was worse than people thinking I was straight. When people thought I was straight they could at least accept I'm not much into guys. I now enjoy percentages because I can say I'm kind of into girls and pretty much not into guys.

12. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I use the numbers that add to 100%, but the numbers I have frequently change.

No matter the situation though, I am gay gay gay. I just use the numbers if someone starts to ask things like, "So you wouldn't ever do it with a girl?"

13. ImHappy247

Out Status:
    All but family
    For regular not-really-close-to-me people, when they ask, I say bisexual cause it's easy to understand and they get the basic idea. For close friends and stuff, when they want to understand it a little bit better I explain the whole pansexual stuff cause that's closer to how I really feel but if I'm thinking about it just for myself I'd say not straight, cause honestly labels make me kind of uncomfortable, feels like simplifying something as complex as my sexuality into something very open to interpretation. Like when using the word ''bisexual'' people might get a lot of ideas about me based on stereotypes that dont fit me in any way, same for the rest of labels. So in the end I guess not straight is the most fitting c:

14. Vav

Vav Guest

How do they change? What makes you identify as "gay gay gay" despite the numbers changing?

15. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My sexuality is a bit fluid in terms of me being attracted to the opposite sex. Sometimes I can imagine myself being with a girl in a relationship, and other days, it's almost an impossibility. But no matter what the numbers are, I will always want to have sex with men. That's what makes me gay. I don't ever fantasize about women - the idea is just pleasing sometimes... it could be my internalized homophobia coming out.

90-10, 80-20 seems to be the more common numbers.

16. CapColors

I say "bisexual" or Kinsey 3.

17. driedroses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use bisexual when discussing it, but consider myself pansexual/queer. I couldn't figure out percentages if I wanted to! I don't have different romantic/sexual attractions, so there's no differentiating there, either.

18. guitar

I go with "gay," if someone wants me to elaborate: 90% gay, or if they know the Kinsey scale, I say 5.

19. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just say I'm gay/lesbian, usually. My orientation isn't particularly flexible, so that pretty much covers it.

20. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess separate romantic and sexual orientations, because it just feels the most accurate for me.