1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do crushes before puberty count?? (Homosexual bi/panromantic struggle)

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Hiraeth, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Hiraeth

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey everyone.
    I have recently felt comfortable with the identity of "panromatic lesbian" but I'm still sort of pondering it. I know that I'm sexually and romantically attracted to girls. At first I identified as bisexual because I've had crushes on guys before, but then I accepted the fact that I'm sexually/physically more drawn to girls and feel much more comfortable with them- it feels "right," while with guys I'm turned off or have to force it. I know that the split between sexual and romantic orientation is debatable, but I feel like it's an explanation for how I feel.
    I tell myself I can't be homoromantic because I've thought guys were cute and had crushes on them in the past. I even "loved" this one guy for years. Except it was when I was 9-13. Before I had any capacity for sexual attraction, I was almost "boy-crazy" in elementary and middle school. I had some pretty intense crushes on boys from kindergarten through 6th grade. It killed me when I couldn't "be with" the boy I was "in love" with when I was 10-11 mostly. Starting in probably 7th grade, I began to slowly lose interest and have less intense crushes. (Which is funny, because that's when it's the opposite for everyone else.) By high school, I was totally over my heartbreaking, unrequited love.
    Around the time of 7th-8th grade was when I began to realize I was attracted to girls sexually. I didn't have crushes on any girls, but I knew I was much more attracted to girls just by looking at pictures of them (ie Victoria's Secret ads and Katy Perry's I Kissed A Girl music video... lol). I could not connect that sexual response to the romantic feelings I had for guys before. From 8th grade up until junior year, I had no crushes on guys whatsoever. I was like "I have high standards", "there's no one hot at this school", "I have no desire for relationships", etc etc etc.... I didn't even consider being gay a possibility. Meanwhile I still fantasized about girls while not acknowledging it at all, literally not caring and telling myself it meant nothing, and calling myself totally straight.
    It didn't really hit me until junior year and I realized that the feelings I had for a girl were called a crush and yes, I had an actual crush on a girl. It began to all make sense why I had lamented over losing my best friend for three years who I felt passionate about being with (because I was in love with her, duh.) And why I was so clingy to all my other female friends and protective/jealous and you know, occasionally got the urge to kiss them. This was when I was like "oh, I must be bi, because I've liked guys." Namely, the one I was obsessed with when I was like 10. High school was also the time I realized touching guys made me soft of uncomfortable. I literally said to someone "I don't want to be physical with a guy, I'm only comfortable with girls. I'm still totally straight though, haha, it has nothing to do with that." *facepalm*
    I only really had 2 very short, fleeting crushes on guys in high school, pretty much because not liking anyone was boring and I wanted to find someone to have a crush on. There was definitely an element of romantic attraction with them, but no physical or sexual desire with them at all. After a month or so I just lost interest and blamed it on my school's lack of hot guys. I guess this comes back to me identifying with the lesbian/panromantic label. Which leads me to my question: should crushes when you're really young be a factor in determining your romantic orientation? There's no way to use it to determine sexual orientation because you have no capacity for that kind of attraction but can you really be romantically attracted to someone when you're that young? Yeah, there were the two guys in high school but the intensity of those on a scale of 1 to 10 was like a 2, almost to the point where it could be basically passed as s platonic attraction. Since puberty, I've never felt the intensity for someone as I did with that guy when I was 10 (and my old best friend, but I couldn't recognize it as such so it felt less intense at the time.) The panromantic/lesbian thing makes me want to call myself "homoflexible" and be open to dating guys because I feel like I could fall in love with anyone and feel like I could create that physical connection "if I had to." Except in the present moment I pretty much have no desire to be with or have sex with a guy at all, know that it makes me uncomfortable and fails every time, and I'm attracted to, physically and romantically, to girls. Probably even more romantically to girls than guys now. But why was I only romantically attracted to guys before (when I was younger than 12)???????? Or was I actually still romantically attracted to girls and didn't recognize it as romantic attraction?????? AHHHHHH! Sorry, I'm totally overthinking this now. Ugh. It's just very complex and difficult not to want to pull apart. This isn't as much of a labels issue than it is of a types-of-attraction issue- I just want to understand myself and what I'm feeling.

2. rachhtheunicorn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had 2 boy crushes before I figured out I was gay. If you feel in your heart that your homoromantic you probably are. Dont let this drag you down. I used to struggle with this a lot but if you just let it go you'll feel so much better :icon_bigg

3. MossyCave

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You still have lots of figuring out to do. We're all different, and if you feel you're not into guys then you're probably right. But.. I was the same, I was boy crazy until I was like 14, then my attraction to them (which was never sexual) faded and faded until I was left with nothing, then I realized I found girls really really hot and I basically liked girls in every way.
    But, since then I have started to feel for guys like I used to when I was a kid, I find them attractive again and its usually not sexual, but sometimes it is. I think the intense sexual attraction for girls just completely overshadowed and minimised anything I thought or felt for men.
    So, you could be homoromantic, or you could be panromantic. I settled on bisexual because it gives me enough room for change, I still have to do some discovering and you probably do too.

4. TomLayton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I had crushes on some guy celebreties when I was younger. Now I just like girls. I think its normal in puberty and you can still experiment even if you're older.