1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bi curious for younger bi curious(normal?)

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ECMember, Dec 20, 2015.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm 24 years old and I've recently felt and admitted to myself that I'm bi curious(well for the most part I feel like it).

I've felt for a while that I've have developed some preference for bi curious guys I would like to be with: White, 18-20, youngish looking.

I've based this from being around certain close male friends in the past 5 1/2 years, getting close to them as a friend, and maybe the closeness and everything I've felt platonic and emotional and some brief sexual feelings. And maybe over time maybe I felt some sketch of a preference of a specific bi curious guy I would like to get with.

The main question I have and I would like to ask you guys, is this normal? I'm 24 and bi curious for the most part, but is it normal to have preference for guys that are 18-20. I'm not a pedophile or anything, but I just like younger guys and girls(18-20) for the most part.

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In my opinion that does not sounds very unusual. Age difference between you and your "target" group is 4-6 years which is not that much. Preference for younger people seems to be rather universal irrespective of orientation, sex or culture.

Being interested in bi guys is understandable as then you would better understand each others.

Also, just for the record, a pedophile is a person who has sexual interests in pre-puberty boys or girls.

3. Magenta Mucus

Nope, not at all :wink: my sexual and emotional attractions have never been for anyone under my own age (15) but stretch for as far as 27. I think it's mostly due to the fact that most of my favoured actors/singers/models are in their middle to late 20s.

4. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I thought my preference was a bit off/weird at first, but I appreciate your feedback.

5. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Now I'm curious. Why do you feel that way?

6. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

At first, I thought it was odd and weird to like guys that were 3-6 years younger than me(18-21).

Though, I realized that as long as anyone is over 18 years old and the both of us consent to go further, there shouldn't be any issues.

7. QBear

I think there are valid ethical concerns to be had about dating someone much, much younger than you - unfair power differentials, different stages in life, lack of generational understanding, etc. But I think the difference between an 18-20 year old and a 24 year old is not excessive.

Apart from legal considerations, there is, for example, the 1/2 plus 7 rule for thumb for the youngest person you can ethically date. Simply put, you divide your age in half and add seven.

So, in your case: 24/2 + 7 = 12+7 = 19.

So, ideally, you'd date someone 19 or older. However, developmentally, there is not that much difference between an 18 year old and a 19 year old, so I wouldn't sweat it.
    (Although, its probably good form to avoid dating someone still in high school.)

When it comes to dating someone younger, its not whether you do it, but rather HOW you do it. Dan Savage has for years advocated the "campsite rule" of ethics for dating someone younger: Leave the person better off than you found them. That is, help them grow and evolve and learn about themselves as a person, while not abusing or exploiting them.

So, I commend you for being ethically concerned about dating younger person, but just relax and just focus instead on being good to guy(s) you end up fooling around with.

Good luck!

#7 QBear, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  8. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I appreciate the clarification. Like I said, I'm just starting to explore the bi curious lifestyle. I'm just exploring this area a bit.

I'm from Texas but it's borderline moderate where I live at. I haven't outed myself completely.