1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Sean12, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Sean12

I have a bunch of questions. I started seriously questioning my sexuality about 6 months ago after I started getting crushes on lots of guys and being attracted to guys(checking out random hot guys). I have become pretty sure that I'm gay but ive been having some doubts.
    So here are the questions:
    1.Is just 6 months enough to be sure? How do I know if I'm gay? (When did you know you were gay?)
    2.I am starting to get sick of not telling anyone. What do I say if I'm not sure? I am scared of telling people and then ending up straight. (By the way I have a supportive family and a very open school)
    My main doubt is the time short amount of time I've felt this way. Just a year ago the thought hadnt crossed my mind.

I can't really think if any more questions right now but I'll post more if I think of them. I'm 15 by the way

Thanks for any replies :slight_smile:

#1 Sean12, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  2. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think it's normal for someone who's 15 to be questioning their sexuality. You're still very young and only beginning to become familiar with the concept of sexuality.
    1) It really depends: for some, 6 months could be enough whereas for others it may not be.
    2) I understand, it's hard to keep this sort of thing bottled up. If it really bothers you, maybe you could talk to a counselor at school about this. Again you're still young and exploring what attracts you and what doesn't.

How do you know you're gay? - Well when you have crushes on guys, what thoughts come up? - Are they romantic? sexual? Other factors that can help you determine is:
    - Do you fantasize sexually (or romantically) a lot about the same sex? Do you enjoy it?
    - Do you get nervous, speechless,or butterflies when you're around an attractive guy?

These kinda of helped me realize I was gay, though it might not be the case for some.

Hope this helps

#2 lastking, Jan 3, 2016
  3. Sean12

Thanks for your thoughts lastking :slight_smile:. I considered your questions and I said yes to all of them. I can share the answers in more detail if you need. Thinking about your answers to my earlier questions, I don't know if that means much. So you general advise is to wait it out and see what happens?

#3 Sean12, Jan 3, 2016
  4. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Your welcome. Yes, if you're not entirely sure of your sexual orientation, I would say give it some time so you can explore it.

5. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Questioning can take a while. Some people just know and for others it can take years. You can take as much time as you want and need to figure this out.
    If you want to talk to someone about it, do, but don't feel pressured to. Just do whatever you feel comfortable with.

6. Sean12

Ok. Thanks guys. Its great to be able to talk to people who have gone through the process. I think that I'll just keep it quiet until I'm sure. Is it possible that this is just a phase? Do people sometimes switch back after a while?

7. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think that's how sexuality works - people don't 'switch back' after a while from one sexual orientation to another. Yes, sexuality can be fluid but most of the time sexuality is fixed. People can be bi-curious, meaning they're already attracted to one sex but they may sometimes be curious about what sex is like with the sex they're not attracted to.

For an example, a heterosexual female may be curious about what sex with another girl may be like. However, she is predominately sexually/romantically attracted to men. She may experiment with a girl and that curiosity may go away.

If your sexual curiosity doesn't go away and your sexual attraction towards a certain sex becomes way stronger and predominant, chances are it is not a phase, rather a part of your sexual orientation.