1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something On My Mind

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Jmiller85, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Jmiller85

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As a young male that has been questioning his sexuality the last few years something really bothers me. Why do straight people feel like they have the right to judge and talk about the Gay and queer community.

Being a gay guy this really hurts, and let me tell you why. Due to the hate/opinions/ way people feel about us, I myself will probably never have the guts to come out, nobody in my life knows I am gay, friends, family, nobody, with the exception of my partner. To everyone else I'm a single, athletic straight guy. This is actually the first time I have ever called myself Gay, and it feels really good. So I guess this could be considered my coming out party.

Why do straight people think we are so bad? We are not animals and should not be treated like it. What if we told straight people they could not love their significant other, how would they feel?

I'm proud of who I am, I would like to have the courage to come out, maybe I will someday. And I'm really proud of you guys and girl that have the courage to do so! (&&&)
    If anyone want to chat, I'd be glad too! :eusa_danc

2. lulu123

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad you feel good to say it, congratulations on coming out! Even though it's only online it's a small step towards you being comfortable enough to come out to those around you and this will be a good place for your confidence to grow. I've only just joined and people have been so helpful! We just have to rise above those people and not stoop to their level... I'm glad you're proud of who you are, you should be! Be confident in who you are, because that is the best person you can be :slight_smile:

3. Jmiller85

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you!

4. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome! Good for you! I know it's hard, but society's getting there. The least we can do is when we're ready educate those in our own lives. Feel free to post on my wall if you ever have any questions. :slight_smile:

5. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Society has been filled with heteronormativity for centuries, and the gay rights movement has surfaced only recently. That's not to say that it gives them an excuse to treat us like animals. A lot of people are bigots and grew up learning to hate the LGBTQ+ community. However, there are some people who don't mean to be offensive but are just uneducated on gay matters and such. The best thing we can do is not stoop to their level. Society has in fact gotten a lot better about accepting people like us.

Also, on a more personal note, I'm so glad that you finally came to the realization of who you are! I'm glad that you feel good about yourself and that you want to celebrate. I can tell you from experience that it really sucks when you end up hating yourself for something you can't change. I wish you a lot of happiness with your current partner, and I hope you get the chance to experience your sexuality more in depth. :icon_wink

6. Jace0055

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to hear that you feel really good about calling yourself gay, some people don't, so i'm glad that you do. And I really don't know why people bash on the gay community. I don't really even see a real reason for them to. It's not like there is a bunch of riots against straight people led by gay people or anything. So *shrugs*
    And there no rush for coming out, remember that~~

7. Jmiller85

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for all the comments! It just bothers me I guess that people are like these weird alien creatures...... It's not like being gay and in love is different than being straight and in love. I guess it is what it is though. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 6th Jan 2016 at 10:53 PM ----------

Meant to say people act like gays are weird alien creatures lol

8. Jace0055

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well said! xD