1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"We can't all have straight hair"

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by cromulent, Jan 8, 2016.

1. cromulent

I know I'm not the first to come up with this analogy, but the idea popped up in my head earlier today, and I'd kind of like to write about it/ have others' input.

Sexuality is like hair. You're born with a certain color and texture of hair--let's say color is romantic orientation and texture is sexual orientation. These two factors can pair up in any which way--for instance, you could have straight brown hair, curly brown hair, curly blonde hair, etc. Sometimes these factors change as you age, sometimes they don't, but you'll always have a natural hair type that you can't choose to change.

Of course, you can alter how it looks--you can straighten your hair, curl it, dye it, bleach it, or whatever you'd like to do to it to change how people perceive your hair, but in the end, your hair will continue to grow out as its natural type.

I really thought I had a longer spiel for this. Well, that's all. Any thoughts? :icon_bigg

*And I mean no offense to people who dye their hair or anything; this was just sort of the direction my analogy went in--dyeing merely to change it, not in interests of self expression.

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like it, it seems to be a fitting worldview. :slight_smile:

3. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People who dye their hair are the people who are in open relationships probably. Because it's a show for the public about their romantic life. And it's not always a bad thing, if they're being true. :slight_smile: Like maybe they're happier having their hair be literally rainbow or whatever.

#3 Linus, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  4. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I really love this analogy. It seems like you put a lot of thought into it, and I agree with what you're saying. I recently dyed my hair a different color because I never really liked my natural hair color.

I mean, I guess you can say that fits because I'm a panromantic demisexual and identify myself as bisexual in public to avoid any confusion.