1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will people take my sexuality seriously ?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Indianna, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Indianna

I identify as a pansexual but I feel like everyone I tell will just think I made it up and i'm just bisexual. I guess it is under the bisexual umbrella, but I don't really 'fit' as plainly bisexual. What do you think ?

2. omgwhatishappen

Since your post is short, i'll just assume that you haven't actually told anyone yet. Your currently belief is that people "will just think I made it up." Of course, this may be true. There may even be really convincing evidence that this is the only possible outcome. However, this is a prediction that is probably arising from your own insecurities, and essentially cancels out all other possibilities. In my experience, you can never know how someone reacts until they react. Although I wasn't personally facing this issue, when I came out to people the reaction was quite different that I had anticipated.

To put thoughts into other people's minds is an unfair and unkind expectation to make. If some aspect of fear emerges when you imagine telling others, then that is totally understandable. I just wouldn't make the outright declaration that you know exactly how everyone will react.

I hope you don't prove me wrong :slight_smile:

hugs,
    Trevor

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

The same goes for any orientation really. Even labeling as gay, you can never assume everyone will believe you depending on what they've been exposed to before or if they've heard about it or their current views. But same with any orientation, their views can change, and what others are ready to accept or not ready to accept says nothing about the validity of your own label. Give people an explanation if need be, but that's all you need to do, the rest is on them and you can't control that. It's not your job to make sure everyone's comfortable with the way you are. The best thing is for you to just be comfortable with the way you are.

4. TheBiBoy

TheBiBoy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Me, being bisexual has enough people thinking it is made up or just confusion but I have learned to ignore them. Yes, people may say to you its only made up but those people are pathetic and just people you should totally ignore. But, if you are thinking of telling anybody be sure to only tell them when you feel ready and dont feel rushed to do so as if you do it when you are ready I think that it will be much easier for you. Coming out is a big relief from personal experience but I was very scared before coming out and this is very understandable. Pansexual is a form of bisexual but it is still a separate orientation of it's own, and there is no reason for people to think it is made up so if they do say that they are very clearly lying. You should think it through who you are going to tell so that you can start a conversation regarding this and see how they react. If they are ok with it then come out to them if you are ready. You are wrong in saying everyone as there will be plenty of people who will be ok with it and will not think it is made up.

Hope I was of some help and can't wait for your response to see how things go. I might be able to help more later on. (*hug*)

Good Luck,
    TheBiBoy

5. Southern Stoic

Lurking on the dark underbelly of the web
    It is entirely possible that some might think that way but at the same time the exact opposite has just as much a chance of being the case. At the end of the day those who matter won't mind and those who mind won't matter, you have to think positive. You just have to learn to ignore those who put you down (even if that isn't always easy). (*hug*)

#5 Southern Stoic, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  6. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does it matter?

Your sexuality is about *you*. You know who you find attractive, the kinds of people you might enjoy sex with...that is the whole game. And if you choose to put that information out there, then people of all kinds will know that you are a potential partner for them.

No, not everyone will celebrate your pansexuality with you. But if you were bisexual, homosexual, or even straight, not everyone would celebrate that with you either.

But I maintain that the important thing is that you know this about you and that *you* take it seriously.

7. MeiMei

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    From the way you said it, I will assume you are yet to tell someone about it. It's a possibily, but you shouldn't let it make you insecure. It's normal and some people might misunderstand, but you can always explain them and let them who you are exactly.

By the way, it is under the bisexual umbrella, but it is different. It's important to explain that if someone thinks you're bi. Emphasize who you are, don't let them misunderstand

8. Violet4

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with pretty much everything everyone said.

I would just like to say that you will probably get good (or very good) reactions and bad (or very bad) reactions but people that will say you probably made that up probably don't know what pansexual means and aren't really familiar with the term. If you come across this, don't panic or assume they aren't accepting, just explain it to them and give them some time to both adjust and interiorize.

Plus, most bisexuals also have to go through all the "you made that up" thing and other similar things, it's not exclusive, it's rather common in the LGBT+ community to have that kind of feedback.

Good luck, if I can help with anything, let me know :slight_smile:

9. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not everyone is understanding or thinks pansexuality is real, but there are plenty who do. My girlfriend is pan and hasn't had too hard a time being out. There are some situations in which she knows it'll take more explanation than it's worth or than she feels like dealing with, and she'll just simplify and say she's bi, but for the most part she's been able to call herself pan without facing much difficulty.

10. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure, uninformed people might question it but it's who you are so they have no choice in the matter. But honestly, just dumb it down a bit and I think they'll get it.