1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regarding different sexualities... I'd like opinions please!

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Linus, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So lately I've been seeing several different posts regarding what qualifies as "Real" sexual orientations, romantic orientations, is there a difference, how to know, etc.

I'm aware that there are two sides of the argument, for the most part. Science argues that some sexualities and other such aren't legit, or made up by society...

But then there are also those people who might identify under those labels and categories.

So I was mainly wondering this: If someone doesn't know where they fall sexuality wise; if they don't feel right identifying with any of the definitive/scientifically "accurate" sexualities--- but they know they aren't straight, then what should they label themselves as?

We can't just have a bunch of people called "oddball miscellaneousexual" running around. That would be both unfair and offensive.

So regarding different sexulities and labels for such, Do you think that people should label themselves with supposedly less accurate labels, if they don't fit... Or try to squeeze into one category or another to be considered truly legit?

I don't really know a lot regarding this matter, so if anyone can come up with a good explanation for it, that would be helpful as well.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the last, oh, 70 years, the existing recognized labels have worked quite well.

By having broad, inclusive labels, people are able to feel part of a larger collective of people sharing common experiences... And if they are uncertain, labeling as questioning or 'mostly bi' serves quite well, is understandable by everyone, and doesn't put them in a box they will later have to backtrack from, or limit who thy are.

I strongly believe that using labels (to the extent any label at all is required) that are widely understood, have a common basis is study, research, or broad acceptance, and have a consistent and grounded definition is by far the best choice, particularly for the individual trying to figure him or herself out.

The 1000000 labels du jour basically do none of those things and often cause more angst and confusion than they resolve, simply because there is disagreement on their meaning, and because they lack any wide acceptance. A label that has little acceptance, a contested definition, and nothing on which to base it really isn't of much value if it is to be an accurate descriptor of someone's secual identity, which sort of defeats the purpose... unless, of course, the label is more about asserting uniqueness and specialness than about accuracy. If that's teh underlying purpose, then any label the person finds acceptable will work just fine.

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I think the 3 main labels gay/bi/straight cover everyone to a basic extent, and as far as labels are concerned I truely deeply feel that's all they have to do. All the extra stuff just goes beyond your orientation and starts describing things about you as a person in ways that probably dont nessecitate an independent label. I also dont get the fascination with searching the 'perfect' label and believe lots of people label themselves innacurately so the final truth of labels is that they barely matter anyway.

4. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    most accurate label for me: heteroromantic homosexual
    what i use irl: bisexual
    <--- what i have on here: straight/gay

It just depends on where you are and the context really

5. Confuseddude