1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I "experiment"?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by lovetoomuch, Jan 24, 2016.

1. lovetoomuch

So, I was in a really good place with my sexuality. I came out to my parents 2 weeks ago from today and after denying my sexuality for about 8 years, I'm finally comfortable with who I am. Then, my dad and I talked a little yesterday and he confused the hell out of me.

He was trying to tell me I cannot be 100% sure of my sexuality because I've never romantically been with a woman or man. I replied with, "But if someone was straight, would you say he or she may be confused?" He tried to defend himself and say that it's the same thing for a straight individual.

Now I'm confused if I should try dating women just to make sure I couldn't see myself with a woman. I have only seen myself physically attracted to males and never women, but I don't know how to interpret what my dad said.

I still have one problem with what he said. If I was straight, I could never imagine him saying, "You should date men to make sure you aren't gay." But now that he knows I'm gay, I think him and my mom are holding on to some hope that I am bisexual.

I'm kind of annoyed by the whole thing, but I don't know if he is correct in what he says. Also, wouldn't it be wrong to date a woman and lead her on when I likely couldn't see myself with her? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

2. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    you could try just going out with a woman in a casual sense, like it doesnt have to be seen as a date then see if you like it?

#2 europeanguy, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  3. Gay1234

I also second europeanguys post. Just hang around with women and if you feel an attraction for anyone of them well then there is your answer. Well I'm sure you will prove your dad wrong because your well old enough to be sure about your sexuality in my opinion.

Good Luck,
    Gay1234

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your attractions are never dictated by experience. By the time most are entering puberty, they have their orientation figured out or are close to doing so. You don't need to have sex to know how you feel.

5. Ryujin

No, if you don't feel like you should experiment, then don't. Date people you're attracted to, not for someone's stupid ideas.