1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pan/bi

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by mettaton, Jan 24, 2016.

1. mettaton

Out Status:
    A few people
    hello =^.^=
    I've been questioning for quite a while. I've come to the conclusion that I'm either pansexual or bisexual but I don't know which.
    I know people who are bi and people who are pan, but I'm still not sure of the difference... is being pansexual not caring about people's genders/having gender be less important? Or is it just being attracted to all genders?
    I think I'm attracted to all genders, but I don't really know??
    thanks for any advice ʕᵔᴥᵔʔ

#1 mettaton, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  2. Southern Stoic

Lurking on the dark underbelly of the web
    Pansexuality is commonly defined as...
    a) Attraction to all genders and sexes.
    b) Regardless of gender or sex.

With that being said many folks use the term bi for convenience as many define it as 'attraction to two or more genders and/or sexes'. So whatever you do or do not call yourself it entirely up to you. Don't stress over it too much.

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As Southern Stoic said, pan = all genders, bi = two or more gender. Clearly, there is overlap between the definitions. Some people refer to being pan as "attraction regardless of gender", but bi people can experience attraction regardless of gender as well. Ultimately, when you fall into the overlap between the labels, it's a matter of preference. I am attracted to people of all genders, but call myself bisexual both because it is more commonly known, because it's how I identified before I learned that pansexuality even existed, and because there are different political (for lack of a better word) implications that come with each label and I prefer bisexual.

4. ThatQueerChick

Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't personally identify as pan, but I have had friends who described their sexuality as being "genderblind" or being more concerned with who the person is rather than what their gender and/or sex. So I guess which label you choose is up to you? Also, you do not have to choose a label if you're uncomfortable with it. Many people feel pressured to prematurely pick a label when you really don't need to rush into it. Just chill, it'll all be fine :slight_smile:

5. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello! Stoic and Dark explained it exactly. Of course, labels mean different things to everyone, and it really comes down to how you identify, and what makes you feel the most comfortable.

Like Darkcomesoon, I'm attracted to people regardless of gender, so if we weren't allowed to choose, I would be classified as pan. But, I prefer the term bisexual, and so that's what I am! :grin: