1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labels

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Murphy, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Murphy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How important is it to have a label/category that fits well?

I feel as comfortable as can be expected with the way my emotions work, and I use the word bi when explaining to other people. Even if it only sort of fits, it does a decent job of helping others understand. I feel like if I were to find a category that fit a bit better, I wouldn't be able to use it the same way. If I haven't heard of one, the people I'm trying to come out to won't have heard of it either, and I'll probably have to tell them it's kind of like being bi but not exactly.

I'm not sure if I want to keep looking for a category that's more me, or how much it even matters?

2. omgwhatishappen

This is a question that tends to impact us all. So, welcome to the club. You are in good company, and we are happy you're here :grin:

The most important thing is how you feel. By placing your feelings, emotions, and wellbeing at the fore, you're going to have a pretty happy existence. That is by far the most important thing.

Now, onto labels. Labels, like most nouns, essentially play the role of the symbol. The word 'potato' is not a potato. Rather, 'potato' is a term employed within a specific language to designate (or point to) something in the 'real' world. At first glance, the word 'potato' seems pretty straight forward; however, there are many different varieties of potato. [See: http://p-fst1.pixstatic.com/5069f793fb04d60a610009a9._w.1500_s.fit_.jpg]. In other words, potato is a term of necessary practicality, but doesn't necessary cover the entire range of the item it is actually meant to cover.

So goes for labels - especially labels that include sexuality. When you say bisexual, I am assuming that the denotative definiton that comes to both our minds is similar. A bisexual is someone who has sexual desire for men and women; however, like the potato, bisexuality takes on a variety of different forms, preferences, and lifestyles.

So, to answer your question: No, the label doesn't matter. Trying to figure out and then explain your own sexual to another individual is a difficult task. Labels don't necessarily fit anyone perfectly, but they help us communicate a relatively-specific aspect of the sexual spectrum to someone else. If someone wants to know more, then they will probably ask you. More importantly, to go full circle, keep the focus on how you're feeling. If a specific label doesn't feel good, then don't use it. If no labels fit you, then don't use any of them. People who love and support you will understand.

Just be you :slight_smile:,
    Trevor

#2 omgwhatishappen, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016