1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does fanfiction reflect my sexuality?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by PennyT, Jan 26, 2016.

1. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two days ago, I realized that I might be gay. Now I've realized that I'm probably into girls. I'm also a massive fanfiction reader - (Fanfiction = life) - but I read almost exclusively slash (malexmale) fanfiction, smut included. I thought that that was because I was attracted to guys, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not attracted to guys. I've heard mentions that maybe lesbians reading male gay sex/relationship stuff is normal. Is it? And why?

I also, as of two days ago, like femslash (femalexfemale) fanfiction. Does that factor in?

On a slightly different note, I can be easily aroused by fictional characters - not the actors, for the most part, just the characters - and I have never been aroused by a real person. What does that mean? I haven't really ever felt butterflies around people of any gender in real life, but I have in fanfiction. How does that work?

2. aurora26

aurora26 Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    I liked reading fanfiction when I was younger, especially if I shipped two characters together. Mostly for cute storylines :slight_smile: A lot of the pairings were malexmale because that was mostly what pairings I shipped, and what people wrote. I'm not really attracted to guys too. It might be something normal because subconciously, a same-sex relationship or attraction was something that I could relate to. Like, it's something that I've always hidden and felt is abnormal by society's standards and there are similiar themes like this often in fanfiction where there's a same gender couple, especially male.

Also I find guys cute but I couldn't be intimate with one so it feels like a more appealing story to read to me than reading a story say about a malexfemale relationship where I just don't want to place myself in the position of the female at all. I prefer to watch movies or series with homosexual couples too, male or female. I'm not sure... It just feels more relateable. Maybe this is why you like reading both male and female same-gender couples? ...It is a bit confusing.

Not sure about your last couple of questions. It might just be that you haven't met someone who's personality has appealed to you in real life yet. You might just have certain standards or a personality type, which isn't a bad thing!! In movies, series, and fanfiction personalities can be idealised. It's easy to crush on them :slight_smile:

#2 aurora26, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  3. BookWriter1994

I used to be a huge big fanfiction reader too. I have been reading it and writing it since
    9th grade.

My preferences were mostly maleXfemale stories rated T-M. There were times that I would read MaleXMale but I never tried FemaleXFemale I mean I tried to read a couple of Korra/ Asami and Raven/Starfire but I didn't really like femslash but I do not mind MxM.

I do however, love to read books that has homosexual characters in it though but I prefer lesbian characters over gay characters.

To be honest, I believe straight couples in books in general are overrated can't we have more homosexual character instead? lol

4. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is it possible you like the MxM fanfiction probably because of the way they are written? That you find the relationship or the dating factor or something thereof appealing in the fanfiction and the writing?

5. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is it possible you like the MxM fanfiction probably because of the way they are written? That you find the relationship or the dating factor or something thereof appealing in the fanfiction and the writing?

6. Gomez

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm the same way, PennyT! I like reading about men in fanfic (either m/m pairings or m/f pairings), but irl I just... don't feel that way? It's weird. I get butterflies around girls (not, like, physical arousal so much because I haven't really felt that way about random people ever), my eyes occasionally linger on women in a way that's definitely more than friendly (not that I'm a creeper about it...), and I get crushes on girls but never on guys, have been intimate with men but didn't enjoy it very much and found myself secretly wishing they were women... my friends squeal over "hot guys" on dating apps or magazines and I'm just like... ehhhhh no.

I'm just taking it one day at a time and not worrying too much about labels at this point.

I prefer reading about queer couples in general, too. Part of it is that it's nice to see my feelings reflected in media, and part of it's that I don't like the strict gender and sexual roles that seem to play out with male/female couples on TV/movies/books/video games, etc.