1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by 1ring, Jan 28, 2016.

1. 1ring

Lately it's been driving me insane just how much more lgbt people have to deal with than straight people. My one friend has been freaking out for an entire week about friending her crush on facebook. She's been treating it like a life or death situation and it's not fair that that gets to be her biggest concern in life, whereas I have to deal with figuring out who I am as a person. I have biphobic parents and I'm just starting to become ready to come out as bisexual; I have had a crush on a girl for over a year now and statistics say that she's probably straight; my brother is pretty homophobic and is convinced I'm a lesbian; every time that I'm ready to admit to myself that my sexuality is valid my brain screws up and convinces myself it's a phase again. How is it fair that all she gets to deal with is friending a dumb guy on a stupid social media site? :bang:

2. joshvolby

because you are not her, this is your problem and thats her problem, this is your reality and thats her reality, this is your situation and thats her situation. were are individual we dont have same issues in life, its just your problem is more complicated while her is just simple. dont compare your situation to others because you will just find it UNFAIR. deal with it thats the reality.

3. 1ring

I know our situations are totally different and I'm not comparing them, our situations are just an example of how different lgbt and straight people have it and that's what's making me upset. It's not fair that we have to worry and deal with all these different things

4. omgwhatishappen

I totally understand where you are coming. It is easy to point the finger, or think life is unfair, or believe that what you are going through can be explained away with "it's just a phase." In my view, if the world was "fair," then I wouldn't be able to bask in the considerable privilege that I enjoy everyday - regardless of my sexuality.

In the grand scheme of things, it sounds like you both have it pretty good. Your friend's life is so amazing that she gets to stress over things that happen over the internet? This world is wide, and there are a lot of people who would really enjoy being able to stress over the concerns that both are you are encountering. Sometimes it helps to take a big step back from your situation, and recognize that there are people all over the world that struggle with their daily needs. Where am I going to find clean water? Where am I going to find food? Where am I going to sleep tonight?

This is a rudimentary way of realizing that a little bit of perspective can help ease the pain of our own selfishness. Both you and your friend are focused so closely on your problems, that you are maybe missing the world around you. Perspective can help us evaluate our own situation, and may lead us realize that we are the lucky ones.

What you are going through is real, difficult, and stressful. Still, you are a lucky one.

With all the kindness you deserve,
    Trevor