1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obsessing about a picture of a random guy I found online

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Euler, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For the past month I have had a very weird obsession. I came across a picture of somewhat erotic nature of a young guy awhile ago. (The picture could be from a men's underwear catalog but I decided against posting it here since the forum rules ban such pictures.)

Anyways, the thing is that I find myself obsessed about looking at the guy in the picture and I might look at the picture for a few times a day. I don't think I'm aroused or have any sexual thoughts about him. (I actually tried imaging sexual encounter with him but it was a very hard.) For some reason I feel looking at the picture soothing and relaxing and I have no idea why.

It took me awhile but then I realized that the guy in the picture bears striking similarity to my own father when I was a kid. I am somewhat disturbed by this finding. I tried covering the everything else in the picture except the face. It was still a very pleasant to look at his face but I still prefer seeing the whole picture.

My question is why is this and what does it mean? Why would I want to stare at a semi-erotic picture of a random guy who looks like my dad? Why don't I get the same kicks from looking at the picture of my own dad? I am not very close with my father but we are not fighting or anything.

2. Erzulie

You might not be obsessed with the picture because the guy looks like your dad. No one knows why each individual finds different things pleasant. It's just what you like. A lot of people have posters or artwork they like pasted to their walls. Maybe it's something like that?

3. Leviantan

Well, assuming it is because of a physical similarity, there is quite a lot of psychological evidence to suggest that we look for those similar to us in appearance (and personality, though not important. Unless it has spoken to you.), and more recent stuff has found links to perceived attractiveness and parents appearance through familiarity. Assuming you look like your dad too, that could explain it.

Oooooor (And prolly more likely), it's a coincidence and you just like it. Everyone is different so one idea may not apply to everyone. And as you prolly know, there's nothing wrong with it, so enjoy the picture~