1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queer and lonely as hell

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by RyeTheDauphin, Feb 4, 2016.

1. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've been very happy with myself recently because I feel like I've accepted the fact that I'm mostly gay and it's made me a lot more comfortable and confident with myself. I have this website to thank for that. You people are awesome. (&&&)

However, this acceptance has brought on some loneliness because I feel like there is no-one in my life who I can share this with. Sure, this website has great people on it to talk to, but it isn't the same as real life contact.

I go to an international school which tends to be quite accepting of this stuff (we even have a pride week coming up, which I'm super excited for), but I've still seen homophobia, bullying and exclusion towards the small amount of people I've seen come out. There just seem to be so few LGBT people around and the ones that do come out usually get at least a bit of backlash and social ostracization. It's the reason that I'm mostly staying in the closet and why I'm so scared to put myself out there.

So far everyone who I've come out to is straight, and whenever I've had problems to do with questioning my identity or gay crushes and the like, they've mostly either been supportive but ultimately not that useful at best, or apathetic and unsympathetic at worst.

For example, earlier when I was telling my mum about the pride week coming up at my school (she knows I like girls although I haven't explicitly told her my orientation yet because I'm worried she'll think it's 'just a phase' as she suggested while I was still questioning), her first reaction was to mutter something like: 'not sure why that's necessary, but okay'. Not only was this really ignorant (it's good for charity, promoting acceptance and just as a bit of fun) but this isn't the first time that she's been uncaring towards LGBT related stuff and now I feel like I can't tell her that I've become comfortable with my true orientation.

I'm sure she and my other friends mean no harm, and they have all been very supportive of me coming out and accepting myself in the past. It's just carelessness and a lack of ability to empathise with my situation, and it feels like even if they do try hard to be kind and accepting (which they have), there's just a lot about what I'm going through that they don't, and probably never will, get.

I just wish I knew more people in my life who I could talk to openly about this and who are in a similar situation to me, and I wish I could find people to talk to without having to out myself to the world. There's no support group for LGBT people at school at the moment and after some research it's pretty clear that although progress is being made, there's still a lot of homophobia where I live, which is discouraging.

What do you guys think? How can I handle straight people's apathy and/or misguidedness towards my situation, and how can I find and perhaps befriend more LGBT+ people in real life to share my experience with?

Thanks a bunch and sorry for the long post. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. :slight_smile:

2. biisme

Looking outside of your school, are the any LGBT groups or organizations in your area? If so, you might want to try attending a meeting / or visiting one of their sites. Hopefully, this would help you find some people who understand what you're going through more than your straight friends.