1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi, or lesbian? Ah, help!

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by aocb, Feb 7, 2016.

1. aocb

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello! Before i begin explaining everything, I'd just like to say thanks for responding/reading this post!

I'll introduce myself. I'm a 16 year old female, who's extremely confused about her sexuality.

When I was younger, probably around 1st - 6th grade, I ALWAYS had crushes on guys. I never had an interest in females, but only felt physically AND emotionally attracted to boys. However, in 7th grade, this changed.

I was recently going through a rough time and had a girl best friend, and soon developed extremely strong feelings for her, stronger than I've ever felt before, and ever since then, I have been confused.

From 7th grade - 10th grade (now) I've had 3 crushes on girls, and they've been so strong I've thought I was in love. I am PHYSICALLY attracted to guys, but I never feel an emotional connection to them. Like, I can get turned on by males easily, but I don't find any romantic connection anymore, and if i do, it goes on and off like mood swings do.

With girls, I feel an emotional connection with them, but I don't find them physically attractive UNLESS i emotionally like them.

Do you see my issue? I'm just really confused. Because, if I was bi wouldn't that mean I like boys and girls both physically and emotionally??? My feelings range a lot as I said. Guys - it's all physical. Maybe a bit emotional but that wares off. Then girls - it's all emotional, but can be physical IF i like them. (So for example, if i saw a random girl on the street that's attractive I wouldn't really get turned on by that right away unless I liked her)

If this helps, I'll add this too. I have kissed a girl and I felt really happy and It felt like magic in a movie. I have kissed guys before too, except i only feel turned on, no magic.

Thanks for the help :confused:

2. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey aocb! I understand how you feel. I'm still questioning my own sexual orientation and it can be really difficult and confusing. Ultimately you are the only one who can answer that question (I know, it sucks!). It may be that you are bi and just haven't found a guy that you emotionally connect with? Or maybe not. It's okay to not know yet. Just know that we're all here to support you!

3. aocb

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you! Here for you aswell :slight_smile:

4. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks (*hug*)

5. state-champs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I recently just started identifying as bisexual back in November but I've known for quite sometime. Although your experience is very different from mine.
    Anyway, you don't have to have it all figured out right now. Give yourself some time to think about it. Besides you don't even have to put a label on it if you don't want to. Labels still confuse me to the point where my brain turns to mush but I use bisexual as an umbrella term. The great thing about this site is that we're all here to figure it out or connect with people who have already gone through this

Sorry if this wasn't really helpful. I'm not good at explaining stuff :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#5 state-champs, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  6. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that is very helpful and true! Yeah I think that is the hardest part about this whole thing is the need to feel like you have to label yourself. I know that causes me a lot of issues.

7. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yep, I feel similarly. My romantic attraction to girls is incredibly intense, and with guys it's gotten over quickly and seems irrelevant, but I find a lot of guys very attractive and am turned on by the idea of sex with a guy easily, whereas I have to feel more of a connection with girls in which case even that is stronger. This leads me to think I'm more likely to be happy in a relationship with a girl which sometimes makes me feel like a lesbian. However, since I have attraction to more than one gender and would never rule out men for relationships, I label myself as bisexual. As tr1tional said, bisexual is definitely an umbrella term. If you want a label, it's a good one because it's completely up to interpretation. I do wish I didn't feel like I needed a label as a tool to identify myself though because no label is ever quite right.

8. aocb

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's great that i found someone who understands how I feel! I actually just did a ton of research and found the term "homoromantic bisexual". This term basically means that you are ROMANTICALLY attracted to only the same sex, but PHYSICALLY attracted to both the male, and female genders. Maybe this will help and be a better label? (if you want to label yourself) thanks for your reply! :icon_bigg