1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Straight" female. Cannot differentiate admiration and love.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by infiniteOcean, Feb 11, 2016.

1. infiniteOcean

Hello, first of all, this is the first time I've posted here. I felt that a community with similar experiences may help me figure out my orientation. Thanks in advance for anyone reading though all these paragraphs, I really appreciate it.

Ok, here is a run down of my issue:

I've lived my life considering myself as a straight female for 20ish years. (I put straight in quotations in the title because I'm not sure what I am anymore.) However, recently in college I've started to wonder if I developed a crush on a female peer of mine.

The first time this happened was during a part time job when I was about 18 years old, where I developed a strangely strong attachment to this female coworker who was older than me. It's not that I was attracted to her face, actually in terms of females I've never felt attracted to their faces and felt apathetic towards female looks in general, unlike the way I was with guys. (I loved staring at handsome guys.) Perhaps this is why I always considered myself as straight for the longest time. But somehow it was very easy for me to talk to her and it felt very comfortable. So much so, that I felt a strong sense of attachment, and just hearing her voice would make my heart leap. I found this feeling unlike something one would feel for a friend, so this shocked me, and I started questioning my orientation. I did not have the desire to date her though, so I could not understand what I was feeling, and thus brushed these feelings aside as admiration because I was very confused.

Fast forward to now, several years in university later. I met a girl who was very similar to me, with a geeky sense of humor and a deadpan voice. She also had a very sharp intelligence that I admired. As a result, I instantly felt she was interesting and thought we could form a good friendship. But as time went on, I felt that I thought of her more than I normally would for anyone else, and always thought of things like "she would like his wouldn't she?" or "I'm sure she would understand me..." when in reality, we weren't actually that close, we were just acquaintances. But she was on my mind a lot. During a particular outing with a group of friends, we shared an umbrella under the rain and when my shoulders brushed hers, I felt as though my heart was squeezing. At that point I thought to myself, isn't this some kind of infatuation that goes beyond admiration or friendship?

So now. I'm very confused. This is new to me, so I can't tell what I am feeling. One of the things that annoyed me the most was that I was quite a tomboy in highschool, and people assumed I was lesbian, but I was not. And I hated that people wanted to stereotype me for how I chose to express myself. But now that I indeed am feeling something similar to bisexuality, I feel a little disappointed I indeed fall into that box.
    I know. It's stupid. But I mentioned this because I'm not sure if I am against accepting my feelings as romantic because of my previous annoyance of being stereotyped.

One of the things that confuses me is, I've always liked boys, and find them appealing, both romantically and sexually. As for girls... it's only possible for me to feel that "heart squeezing" if I knew their personalities in some way. I don't notice their faces at all. They could be the ugliest person on earth and I would barely notice, if their personalities made me feel comfortable with them. I also don't really feel sexual desire towards females, but I do feel my heart racing for those two particular girls I knew. On the other hand, for guys I do evaluate their looks to some degree, as well as personality. I fantasize about men for the most part. But I don't really have many urges for females. At least, so far. (I know that sexuality sometimes takes time to discover, but at the moment I don't have much interest in females physically or sexually.)

Does anyone understand what I am going through? Because I have no idea what my feelings are right now. Would you consider my orientation as bisexual or heteroflexible or something else? How do you interpret my feelings? I know that it's hard since you are only reading a written text and aren't experiencing it personally, but I still want feedback from people familiar with these topics.

Thank you very much for reading.

2. IDont Say Aboot

Hello! I think what you are describing there is biromantic, or panromantic if that includes non-binary people but how about I don't go off on that tangent. It's basically where you can feel romantic attraction to either gender (or any gender if you are panromantic), although that does not necessarily mean that you have to be sexually attracted to them. It's late at night now so this might make a lot less sense than I think it does right now, but hopefully that helps. Also, just one piece of advice: There have been a lot of people who I have thought that I had a crush on, but when I thought about it more I realized that I only wanted to be really good friends with them. I'm not saying that that's necessarily what is happening with you, but if you had considered yourself straight for your whole life then that could be a possibility.
    Another thing you could try is to picture yourself getting married to a man, and evaluate how right that feels. Then do that except picture a woman, and see if it also feels right. I know that that helped me a lot when trying to figure out my own orientation.
    Hope this helped! :slight_smile: (I hope I did that smiley face correctly.)

#2 IDont Say Aboot, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  3. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It could be that you are bisexual after all, but only you can answer that question :slight_smile: From how you described your feelings towards these two girls, it seems that you might be in very early stages of discovering your attraction to women. At least it sounds like this to me. I doubt that you just admire them as friends, however that plays a huge role. In my experience it's really hard to accept the fact you might like women at the beginning if you never asked yourself these questions before. From what you wrote I can see that you are very smart and intelligent, so I am sure you will figure it out. Good luck!

4. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes, this sounds like you may be bisexual and just coming into discovering you attraction to women as others said. Plenty of this mirrored my own experience.

I always felt that fundemental attraction to guys and didn't think I felt anything for girls (but I can't say I didn't notice girls looks at all, but never thought about them in THAT way at all). But in my later teens I've had similar very physical experience of attraction with all the heart-skipping and such with girls who's personality captivated me (of course I also appreciate their looks but... that's super secondary). It definitely took me a while to feel the appeal of actual sexual acts with other girls, it was sort of like a second time round of being a kid and thinking sex is so disgusting, but definitely as I opened up and allowed myself to fantasize about girls etc. the idea of actual sex being involved only intensified the feelings I had towards my female crushes and it eventually felt sort of right and I knew I was definitely at least bisexual.

I feel like this is a process you're going to go through, and we're all here for you.

I especially understand what you said about feeling dissapointed for living up to being called gay for being a tomboy in high school. Same thing happened to me at the school I was at till 16 and I feel super idiotic for allowing myself to be a stereotype sometimes, especially when I was so adament about it being false. But, you just have to think not in terms of others, but in terms of being authentic to yourself, which is the only thing that'll make you content. You are a tomboy because that's how you feel comfortable, and you have these feelings that make you feel happy. Both of these things are part of you and as long as you know they are coming from your own heart for your own reasons and make you happy, then you are being YOU, not any stereotype.

5. Seagypsy

Sounds a bit like me. It is hard to work out how much of my orientation is naturally wired towards guys and how much of it is socially constructed. I notice more guys and tend to feel a stronger attraction usually, but I think it's at least partly because I feel so much more comfortable with fancying a guy rather than a girl. Part of my strong attraction is "Wow he's a guy and I can fancy him, great!" It's a relief to fancy a guy. With girls I gave suppressed it a lot, so my attractions are more muted but as I accept them more, they are definitely growing more frequent I.e. I am now noticing more attractive girls than before and feeling something for them. I think it takes time, it grows.

#5 Seagypsy, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  6. infiniteOcean

Thanks for all the replies. From what I'm hearing, it seems likely I'm just in the early stages of discovering whatever my sexuality is.

At the moment, the term "biromantic" seems very accurate.
    I still cannot really imagine myself in a sexual relationship with a female, but it's possible in the future this may change. I don't know.

This issue has really given me a lot of confusion and angst over the past few days. It's pretty hard. I really wish sexuality wasn't something that suddenly you discover, haha. It'd be nice if I knew right now, clearly what exactly I am. But it requires so much patience and surprise.

---------- Post added 13th Feb 2016 at 04:33 PM ----------

Hmmm, what was it that made you think you had a crush on them, when you just wanted to be friends, though? Isn't the feeling of wanting to be friends and having a crush somewhat different? I'm very curious.

7. IDont Say Aboot

Probably because I didn't feel that way about them because at the same time I felt the same way about other people, and that went away when I wasn't near... If that makes any sense.