1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The exception which proves the rule

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Hats, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mum has this expression: "The exception which proves the rule." In other words, one or two apparent inconsistencies doesn't necessarily invalidate the rule.

I've seen similar comments about sexuality on the net, and in my own past questioning struggles have wondered the same thing - if you've always liked the opposite sex but then you meet someone of the same sex you like in a similar if slightly different way, does that automatically mean you're bisexual, or does it mean that they are the exception to the rule that you are straight?

For me, I've always understood that it's the former, but I've seen the latter view enough times that I'm starting to wonder if it has any validity, or whether people are hiding behind such a statement because they can't yet accept the reality that they're not straight.

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By definition, in my opinion, the person would be bisexual, with a really strong preference towards the opposite sex.

However, remember that labels are just words. Words were created by humans to serve humans, and not the contrary. So i wouldn't worry too much about it.

In this case, i think the person is free to call him/herself straight or bisexual. It depends on what label feels more confortable for you.

3. Stash

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There are reports of straight guys who inexplicably fall in love with another guy who has reciprocal feelings. For both, those feelings extend only to that person and not to other men at all. I don't know for sure, but if I were to believe in reincarnation I'd believe it is someone they knew from another life. I point that out because when an attraction in your life is out of the ordinary it is often without explanation and any explanation is as good as another.

I suggest you don't tie down your sexual orientation description to this experience, because this one attraction is in a sense an outlier in your experience thus far. Why not just enjoy the relationship. Go with the flow.

4. KittensandCandy

Yeah, if you consider yourself straight but then experience same sex attraction to only one person you can consider yourself bisexual(maybe with a strong preference) or straight (considering the same sex attraction as an exception) or heteroflexible.

5. Micas

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Have you ever heard of the Kinsey scale? Zero means your 100% straight 6 means your 100% gay. One means that you may like one person of the opposite sex but they are the exeption. Some people who may be a one might identify as straight just for simplicities sake.