1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you tell if you're pansexual if?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ModernCat, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

Excuse me if this is a silly question, is it possible to know if I'm pan if I've never met a transgendered or genderqueer person?

2. driedroses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a silly question, and the answer is yes. I've never met a genderqueer or transgender person to whom I'm attracted, but I know the possibility exists, so I identify as pansexual. Partly because I have found transgender and genderqueer people who are in the public eye quite attractive and - shall we say, compelling? Maybe that would help you, to identify some public figures who are transgender and/or genderqueer and figure out if you find them attractive.

3. YinYang

It's not a silly question at all. You can definitely know you are pan if you've never met a genderqueer person before. It's the same thing as knowing you're gay without ever having sex with someone of the same gender.

Also, to driedroses, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but if you identify as pan, why does your profile say bi? Again, not trying to be rude, just curious.

4. driedroses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mostly because I'm old :icon_wink and I have identified as bisexual for nearly 20 years - I realize that pansexual is the "correct" label, but I've only come to that in the past year or so, and I'm comfortable with bisexual. It's also easier with my generation - my kids understand pansexual, but my peers and elders? Not so much.

And - I'm lazy. I started out with bisexual because, again, generational, and I haven't given thought to changing it.

#4 driedroses, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016