1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it okay to be a non-binary gender and be straight?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Nike007, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. I was thinking about this today. I didn't know which section to post this in so if needed to be moved to a different section, I'm sorry.

Anyways, I believe I am a non-binary gender, currently androgyne, but I believe my sexual orientation is straight, only liking males, but I am a non-binary gender. Is this breaking some hidden rule? Am I being hypocritical? Since I consider myself androgyne, I can only date pansexuals if they know I am a non-binary gender, so the person has to be male, pansexual? I don't know what the odds of that are, but... Anyways, I know gender doesn't define sexual orientation, but is it fine for my sexual orientation to not include other non-binary members? Thanks.

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, gender and orientation are entirely separate things so of course. Just base it off who you are attracted to and find the closest word to it, don't let the labels define you.

As for the part about people recognizing your gender properly, that's a little more challenging. There's always at least a few people educated on the subject nearly everywhere, but it might be hard to find one who likes you back since in many areas they're so uncommon.

3. marcelinevin

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm cis, so I don't know if my input is warranted here or not, so feel free to take this how you will. But I don't think there is anything wrong with what you. It's not hypocritical to not be attracted to your own gender and still want others to be attracted to it. Sexual attraction isn't a choice or a political statement, it's who you are.

For example: I think it would be hypocritical if you didn't want to accept other non-binary people into society but wanted to be accepted. Because that is something you would be choosing to do, unlike the gender you are interested in, which is different. :slight_smile: There's nothing wrong with being non-binary and into guys. I can see why you would be worried about that though, and don't want to dismiss how you're feeling. But I think you're fine and wanted to let you know that.

(Also, I watch some trans and non-binary youtubers who I believe have said they are straight. An example being someone called 'Kat Blaque.' I think it's as natural to be trans/nb and straight as it is to be another sexuality alongside being trans. And it isn't anything unheard of, in my experience online at least. Edit: And about your other statement, I believe a lot of bi people are interested in non-binary people aswell as pan people. I have heard the term 'two or more genders' instead of just male/female online a lot to describe bisexuality. There's someone out there for everyone.)

#3 marcelinevin, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gender and sexuality have nothing to do with each other. You don't have to be attracted to nonbinary people just because you are nonbinary.

That being said, calling yourself straight when you're nonbinary isn't going to make much sense to people who know you as nonbinary (the issue is in the label, not the fact that you're into men). Straight implies a woman who likes men or a man who likes women. Since you're not a man or a woman, people won't know what you mean when you say you're straight unless you also specify your sex (which you can totally do if that's something you're comfortable with! I've just always found it weird to have to do for myself). If you don't want to have to specify your sex, you could consider the label androsexual, which just means attraction to men without having to specify your own gender.

But yes, you can date pansexual (or bisexual, because bi people can be attracted to nonbinary people too) men and be nonbinary. There's no obligation for you to be attracted to nonbinary people.

5. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're attracted to men then the name for that is androphilic (it also means attracted to masculinity but you can use whichever definition fits). I like the term because it's a sexuality that's not based off gender like straight/gay is but completely separated. (Just read the reply above and they basically said the same thing so sorry for repeating, I think androphilic/sexual are interchangeable, philic just means to like)

Essentially by calling yourself straight you're implying that you're a cis-woman which isn't the case. I can understand where you're coming from that it's a lot easier to use the term straight because everyone knows it and if that's what you're comfortable with then fair enough but you're taking away from your gender identity by doing this.

#5 Aberrance, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  6. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for all your responses :slight_smile:. I didn't realize that a word to describe attraction to men was androsexual. I'll think I'll go with that word. And I guess I didn't seem to imply that straight is something used for cisgender people. I'm sorry if that offended someone. I'm pretty new to all this.

And I also thought that bisexual was referred to two genders and that's why the term pansexual was created to accept everyone. Maybe I thought wrong.

Anyways thanks for all your help :slight_smile:. I am learning more and more everyday.

7. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, you're right there. 'Bi' means two so relates only to male and female whereas pan is all inclusive. I think some people tend to just use bi because more people are aware of what it means. I'm glad you've managed to work yourself out a little better.

8. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay. And yes I did. I changed info to androsexual. Thanks for the help.

9. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, no. The bi community has chosen to define ourselves as being attracted to two or more genders (sometimes you will see it defined as "same gender and other genders" so it still fits the "bi means two"). I'm not looking to debate this; I just want to make sure Nike is getting good information since they're still learning about all this stuff.

10. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay then. So bisexual means 2+? I am kinda confused at that. I'll look into terms more maybe because this seems like a shade of grey area. Thanks for this too.

11. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep! Bi means attracted to two or more genders (which means that the many bi people who only like two genders are still totally fine and valid under this definition; it just also includes the many people who were identifying as bi before the language to articulate attraction to more than two genders even existed). Pan is attraction to all genders. Polysexual is less commonly used but means attraction to many but not all genders. Anyone who fits the definition of pan or polysexual also fits the definition of bisexual, so it's up to them to choose which terms they want to use.