1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theory: bromance vs romance

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by TomboyGoth, Mar 2, 2016.

1. TomboyGoth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have been having a hard time figuring out my sexual orientation. Recently i have been coming more into terms with my masculinity (not trans though) and i just came up with a theory. When i see movies and tv series, there are some awesome male characters (like Nux in Mad Max Fury Road) i have been attracted to. It has been a bit confusing, because although i have liked them a lot, i have never knew what would i do with them (in theoretical place where i would actually have a chance at having them). So maybe it is just an attraction to their character, that maybe i hope to be like them, not be with them. Maybe i need someone who is more feminine than me. This is very confusing because i'm trying to figure out if i'm bi or gay.

So my awesome theory of bromance vs romance is simple, i ask myself just one question: Would i like to wear their clothes? If the answer is yes, it is obviously a bromance and if the answer is no, it is a romance (I would very much like to wear Nux's pants). And pretty much every male character in this light is a bromance for me. If i think about female characters, Some of them would be bromances and some romances. This significantly helps me defining the differences in my attractions. So what do you guys think about my theory?

2. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oooh nice theory... but some people are stylish AND hot haha. But I get what you mean. For me though almost every male character just sort of passes me by... I'm thinking really hard trying to pin any down. I don't watch much TV anyway. But oh dear whenever I think about how I can't pin down male celebrity crushes I feel like a lesbian. Which is not a problem, just er, seems pretty incorrect. I guess I can think of a few passing ones and those were never about the clothes, nope. I guess romance? Confused rubbish answer. I love your theory though, it just didn't work for me.

3. TomboyGoth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Haha, maybe you need to be more manly for that to work. :grin: Thanks for your answer. Celebrity crushes (or lack of them) can be quite a good sign but on the other hand a large part of an attraction (for me at least) is the personality. And you can't really get a whole picture of the personality of someone you don't actually know.

I can think that someone is amazingly hot in a tv series and when i see that same someone in a different tv series i'm feeling zero attraction. So the personality of a character is a big thing for me. And there's also that thing that there isn't ugly people, just bad photographers (or photoshoppers maybe..) But i'm a little lost with my sexuality too so i just try to figure out new ways of defining my interests. :slight_smile:

4. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh absolutely about the personality thing. I remember not quite understanding the level of manic love for Alex from OITNB until I watched it and just fell in love with her. The personality boosted her greatly. I also agree that yeah, anyone can look beautiful when they have really talented people working with them on their look and photographs. And yeah, I guess I might not be manly enough for this to work at all. I'm not very girly and I love menswear but my look is more tomboy hipster rocker lesbian than an actually butch/dapper whatever sort of very menswear style, which is something you get from crazy fashion bloggers not male tv characters. I don't think many dudes dress like me even though I will throw menswear and like, ties into every outfit.

5. YeahpIdk

Haha, I love that theory. Not sure it can stand up in every situation - like Shach says, some people can be hot and stylish. It does ring a bit true for me, though. When I look at Ruby Rose, I don't really want to wear her clothes or even look like her, I just want to look at her :slight_smile: :slight_smile:.

It was like that with the first girl I liked, too. Didn't want her looks, just wanted her.

Bless the androgynous femmes of the world.

6. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haha someone like Ruby Rose confuses me, I can't work out whether I want to wear her clothes or be with her. With girlier girls its obvious that I don't wanna wear their clothes. I think it may be more style with ruby.

#6 SHACH, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  7. YeahpIdk

Ruby is bae <3 :slight_smile: